• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU/Ram Bottlenecking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwa158

Hey all, I just built my computer yesterday, loaded up World of Warcraft and was a bit disappointed. I had my graphics turned up and I was only getting around 30fps with drops to about 15 in certain areas. I even turned down AA a few notches and noticed a minor improvement.

I still haven't done everything I could to optimize everything. I'm in the process of reinstalling WoW and all that.

Anyway, are these results typical? Is my CPU or ram bottlenecking my video card? I do plan on getting another gig of ram in the next week or so though.

Monitor?

Ehh, I've got a Samsung SyncMaster 710T.

After the clean WoW install, I'm running about 30~ in the main city with the graphics turned all the way up. If I turn down AA to 1x (in-game setting), it jumps up to around 46.

Oh and I'm running it in 1280x1024 resolution.

That is very strange. When I played WoW, I was running it at max settings (1680x1050) without the framerate ever dropping below 20, and usually had anywhere from 45-60.

I would assume another gig of ram man solve the problem, during some big battles ram usage is pretty high.

WoW isn't graphic intensive. So if theres really a slow down like that its either driver issue or ram in this case since you only have 1Gig. But still even at such a low res its doing it seems wierd.

I turned down multi-sampling to 2x and AF all the way down using the in-game settings. In large areas I get around 30 fps, otherwise it's usually a steady 55-65. It's playable, but I had hoped I could crank up the graphics and get those frame rats.

Oh well, maybe I'll try a different video driver. I'm using the latest drivers from nvidia.com, I believe it is 97.26.

Also, I ran 3dmark06 and scored around 7500. It seems to be ok compared to what other people got with the similar setup.

Thanks for the replies.

Back