• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU speed in bios not matching what is showing in windows.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gameplaywarrior

Registered
I am not sure if I should have started this new thread or added on to my previous one (its a different issue so I thought I would make a new one sorry if I did this wrong)

Anyway I finally started to get into overclocking however the CPU and BUS setting I applied in bios (which is 4.5ghz - 100mhz) is showing up in CPUID and ADIA64 as a slower speed, does anyone know what setting is responsible for this and/or what I can do to correct it?

System
Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI HERO
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
Cooler: Swiftech H220-X
Memory:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
PSU: Seasonic X-850 Gold KM3
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 4Gb
Hard Drive: Samgsumg SSD 850 PRO 512GB

CPU.jpg

I don't see anything wrong?

So what your saying is that its normal for windows to report the bios setting a little lower then 4.5ghz (its showing 4.489ghz)? I see other peoples screen shots and CPUZ reports showing exactly the 4.5ghz which is why I was wondering if I had some setting in BIOS configured wrong

That's just the slight tolerance in making electronic parts.
I've seen some slightly high and slightly low. Slightly low is pretty typical.

That's just the slight tolerance in making electronic parts.
I've seen some slightly high and slightly low. Slightly low is pretty typical.

OK as long as there is nothing in BIOS doing it, like cool and quiet or something similar that is all I was worried about, thanks for the help

Nope, if you had some power saving feature enabled it'd be dropping a lot more than a few MHz.

Give CMOS a good clearing. My AMD rig does the same thing sometimes. Should read 200, in windows reads 199.xx. You could try updating or rolling back the bios rev. if there is a known better bios than the one your currently using.

I have a another new to over clocking question so I will throw it in here, does it mater what the CPU package temp is on my i5-4690K? the CPU its self under full load (ADIA64) is 63C but the CPU package hits 75C, I looked around on Google but I couldn't find anyone talking about the CPU package temp for Intel chips so I was hoping someone here can help me out. With out have to make a new thread

Which monitoring software?

The above numbers came from ADIA64's own temperature monitor as well as its stress test graph, now I just fired up HWMonitor and it was reporting higher temps of 67C for the cpu and 78C for the package. I know the CPU its self can handle the high 80's but not sure about the CPU package limit

Can you post a screenshot of HWMonitor real quick? I'm on my Z97 system and don't see a "Package" temp.

Sorry for the late reply I was away from my PC the last while. Anyway here is the screen shot that you asked for (I have circled the package to make it stand out) keep in mind these are just idle temps.

cpu temp.png

Yeah, I'm just blind... I see it on my HWMonitor now.
Just pay attention to the core temps, they'll tell you all you need to know.

Yeah, I'm just blind... I see it on my HWMonitor now.
Just pay attention to the core temps, they'll tell you all you need to know.

Ok thanks I know when I was overclocking my old AMD rig you had to watch core and package temps, so the package temp don't matter for intel chips then? and thanks for your help I apreachate it :)

Yeah, I never watch package temps on Intel. It's just the core you need to keep your eye on

I am not sure if I should have started this new thread or added on to my previous one (its a different issue so I thought I would make a new one sorry if I did this wrong)

Anyway I finally started to get into overclocking however the CPU and BUS setting I applied in bios (which is 4.5ghz - 100mhz) is showing up in CPUID and ADIA64 as a slower speed, does anyone know what setting is responsible for this and/or what I can do to correct it?

System
Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI HERO
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
Cooler: Swiftech H220-X
Memory:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
PSU: Seasonic X-850 Gold KM3
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 4Gb
Hard Drive: Samgsumg SSD 850 PRO 512GB

View attachment 163113

Hey man, that's a sweet desktop background you have! Can you share a link for it or give its name?

edit: Got it, The Unknown, lol.

With all the newer Intel CPUs I have used and overclocked the package temp is always within one degree of the max temp achieved of the hottest core when using HWMonitor while doing a stress test.

GameplayWarrior, if you're using IntelBurntest to check stability of the overclock then I would suggest using the "Very High" setting and running 20 passes. I would also run 3DMark11. I find that if I can pass those two in my stress testing the machine is quite stable, at least for how I use it. Surprisingly, 3DMark11 will sometimes turn up stability issues that other stress testing software misses. I find it will sometimes catch RAM related stability issues that are not tripped by other testers.

Last edited:
Back