• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temps. Am i safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samurai7

Registered
My CPU is an Intel Pentium 4, and i had a system crash last night, after i powered back on, it said sytem stopped due to an overheating event. i am running 3 case fans, one on the side panel and 2 on the back of the case, then the CPU fan and heatsink are medium sized (sorry i dont know the exact measurement the guy that normally helps me with my PC put it in there earlier this year and i forgot what size he told me it was) and then of course im running a GeForce 7600 GT which has its own fan. im currently running SpeedFan and am getting a CPU reading of 53C, Internal Temp: 38c, Remote Temp:38c, HD0:36C, HD1:31c, Core: 52c, and ambient of 0c??? now are these temps all normal? if not how can i fix them? im sorry im just so new to case modding and havent even started overclocking yet. thanks for the help!

:welcome: to the forums! :D

Open up your case and clean all the dust out, 52 idle is pretty high ;)

Also, run a program like CPUBurn or Orthos to test what the CPU will hit under full load, tell us what Speedfan says while running one of those programs.

ok i ran Orthos for about 3-4 min. and the temp stayed around the same area of 53c-55c :confused:

ok i ran Orthos for about 3-4 min. and the temp stayed around the same area of 53c-55c :confused:
That can't be right...hmm...

Did you select "Small FTT's"? Then hit start? The big text box should turn green and say GO!

That can't be right...hmm...

Did you select "Small FTT's"? Then hit start? The big text box should turn green and say GO!

actually i ras running the combo of both RAM and CPU, maybe my temp readings are off?

actually i ras running the combo of both RAM and CPU, maybe my temp readings are off?
That is possible, but try the Small FTT's first.

If that doesn't raise temps by much, try CPUBurn.

yeah holy crapolas im getting a reading of 68c-71c in onlyu a matter of 1 min.

Yeah, that is really high for stock.

Did you open the case and clean dust out? ;)

Yeah, that is really high for stock.

Did you open the case and clean dust out? ;)

funny thing about that i did that just lastnight before the crash, i also put in a new DVDR and replaced some of the wires with more space efficient ones to promote better airflow, you dont think i could have shorted something do you?:eek:

funny thing about that i did that just lastnight before the crash, i also put in a new DVDR and replaced some of the wires with more space efficient ones to promote better airflow, you dont think i could have shorted something do you?:eek:
That wouldn't cause a temp increase.

You didn't hit the heatsink did you? You might have pulled one of the retention pins out.

If you pull gently on the heatsink, does it move? If it does, push on the black retention pins until it "clicks", try pulling again.

The above statement is if you have the stock cooler.

Can you take a picture of the inside so I can see what cooler you have?

That wouldn't cause a temp increase.

You didn't hit the heatsink did you? You might have pulled one of the retention pins out.

If you pull gently on the heatsink, does it move? If it does, push on the black retention pins until it "clicks", try pulling again.

The above statement is if you have the stock cooler.

Can you take a picture of the inside so I can see what cooler you have?

sure thing man just give me a bit to locate my camera

The pics are ok, it looks like the stock heatsink. If you have a can of air, see if you can clean it out.

Also try pulling on the heatsink (with it OFF) and see if it moves, it should be solid.

The pics are ok, it looks like the stock heatsink. If you have a can of air, see if you can clean it out.

Also try pulling on the heatsink (with it OFF) and see if it moves, it should be solid.

yeah i turned off the PC and tried pulling on the heatsink, its in there solidly, could it be maybe that it needs an application of thermal compound?

Google for ThrottleWatch and run it, if its not throttling and the rig is sttable, it is safe !

If i were you then id take off the heatsink and properly clean it then reaseat it, just to be safe.

well i gave up trying to fix it myself so, i gave to my guy jon to see if he can fix it /sigh

Back