• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu upgrade purchase help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

l3arrett82

Registered
the pc im needing to get a new processor for is a hp sr5703wm mother board is M2N68-LA (Ivy8)

this is what hp says is compatible
Athlon 64 up to 3800+
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 4800+ (up to 65 watt TDP)
Sempron - All

so i was just hoping you guys could tell me which 1 is the best gaming processor out of the supported cpu's for this pc

or maybe if this mobos bios can be updated to support something better please let me know

also need a vid card and psu if you have any suggestions off the top of you head. just something that will run the sims 3

Last edited:
I doubt you can upgrade beyond am2 socket cpu's, which nowadays are hellish slow!
You're better off getting a gpu (and psu perhaps) upgrade and later on getting a cpu/mobo combo and some ddr3 ram.
What are the rest of your specs?

its got 2 gigs of ddr2 ram 320 mb hd,

after doing some research for a video card i think my best bet is just waiting a few weeks and getting the o lady a new pc

but i did try some software called softxpand which allowed me to turn my rig into 2 rigs

2 people 2 mice 2 keyboards 2 sound cards 2 monitors 1 pc

i was able to play bf3 on max settings at 1440x900 while she played sims 3 maxed at 1366x768 with no lag

so i may just buy that software for 40$ its a toss up between a pc and softxpand, i'll have to weigh the pros n cons

The software that makes one rig into two: What are the recommended system requirements for running it efficiently? If it makes one adequate computer into two slow, frustrating ones you might think twice about it.

There's a free soft called Aster. Use that instead!
I used to game at a friend's house on some old 775 rigs and it worked ok for 720p gaming.
You just need a couple of usb keyboards and mouses and two monitors.
These were an E6300 and a Q6600 with 2gb ram, running Win7 32 bit, so I bet you'd be fine with that till you can save for a proper pc.

Back