• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU upgrade won't boot M2N-SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AeroBuff

Registered
Hey all,
I'm still having a problem getting my computer to post with my upgrade CPU. I originally tried the Phenom II X4 945, and AMD said to send it in. They sent me a Phenom II X4 925 (I assume they were out of 945's), and same problem.

Under msinfo32, I'm seeing: Revision 1103, 4/22/2010. I updated that myself with a thumb drive but I'm not 100% sure I did it correctly. The update went through and the PC restarted as a result, but I'm still skeptical.

I've reset CMOS via the pin cover thing. I've also remove the batter and reset CMOS at the same time for a few minutes. My old CPU works just fine on this board, and the new CPU is on the support list. This is the third CPU I've received from AMD so I'm pretty sure it's not the CPU.

Although this CPU is on the support list, I feel that either it is not compatible or it is a software issue. Any ideas before I take this into a computer repair shop? Thanks!

You write >> CPU upgrade won't boot M2N-SLI

You write >> I'm still having a problem getting my computer to post with my upgrade CPU

You write >> Under msinfo32, I'm seeing: Revision 1103, 4/22/2010. I updated that myself with a thumb drive but I'm not 100% sure I did it correctly

How in the world can you update msinfo32 with a computer that will n0t post?

And I didn't upate msinfo32 I just referred to it for my BIOS version...thanks though.

Phenom II X4 is supported on the M2N-SLi Deluxe, but not the M2N-SLi.

ASUS's website lists the CPUs as supported under bios 5001, but it does not exist for the M2N-SLi, just the Deluxe version based off the nForce 570a chipset. (instead of 560a) ...I believe that is a typo on their part.

I think you're out of luck.

The only two things I can think of is a) I didn't update my BIOS correctly, even though it says revision 1103 under msinfo32, or b) The chip is bad because I have nothing to test it on, even though this is my third chip from AMD...

Is it possible that I left out a crucial step when updating the BIOS even though msinfo32 says 1103?

Try version 5001. It doesnt make sense they would back out any additions from a previous bios, but clearly something isnt working right. Try reflashing to 5001 which is the previous bios that supports that CPU.

Tough which version do you have of the 925? That link provided shows it supports C2... was there a C3 that may not be supported? Does the code on the box match this: HDX925WFK4DGI

EDIT: There is an edit button in your posts that you can use to prevent double and triple posting. ;)

I tried this CPU with both 5001 and 1103. Also, the part number HDX925WFK4DGI is what this CPU is and is on the support list.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X4 925 - HDX925WFK4DGI (HDX925WFGIBOX).html
Sorry for double and triple posting. I just have that gut feeling...software. What are the chances of two processors that are on the list not working? I'm doing something wrong.
Sorry about not seeing the 5001 bios earlier. Do not try it with 1103, that bios is based off of the old microcode, only 5001 will work.
So you can enter the BIOS and stuff with the new CPUs?

Do you get a BSOD with the new CPUs? If so, what is the BSOD hex code? ie. (0x000007F)

On Windows 7, the chance of an Athlon 64 > Phenom II processor not working on the same install is 0%, they always work.
On Windows XP, they have always worked for me too, a Found New Hardware Wizard will pop up in regards to how many cores there are in the new CPU.

Right.. aware of the part number. I listed it. :p

Try a different method of flashing (if there is one).

Or perhaps its time to pony up for a motherboard that isnt 6 years old. I know that is a costly solution but...

@BeepBeep2 - when i push the power button the computer turns on but no beep and nothing on the screen.
@EarthDog - I have a shopping cart on Newegg with a m/b, ram, OS, and GPU (needed upgrade anyway) I'm just dreading dishing out 350 to play this game, I wanted to stay as cheap as possible. But I think you may be right.

Okay, so after you've flashed the bios to 5001, it is still shown as 1003 in msinfo32?
I'm willing to bet that the BIOS isn't flashing...

Is the BIOS Phoenix-Award or AMI (American Megatrends) based? You may have to flash in DOS with extra switches to flash the BIOS or to flash-back.

Also, it is good to take note that some new GPUs will not work in some of these older AM2 motherboards. My HD5770s do not POST in my nForce 590 SLi-based board (Foxconn C51XEM2AA) so I keep an HD4850 around for that reason.

When I reflashed to 5001, it shows 5001 in msinfo32. And that is a good point about GPU's, I may be at risk of incompatibility with this old board...

Ok thanks all for the help. The bios update didn't work. I think the motherboard is just too old.

That's weird, but like I said before, I believe the 1103 bios has the old microcode, meaning it wouldn't work with the new CPUs anyway.

Look at the size of the 1103 bios vs the older bioses and then look at the size of the 5001 bios.

I just finished re-flashing to 5001 with the guide I posted earlier and same thing. So, I believe I'm going to run to the local Fry's and pick up an AM3+ m/b, some ram and Windows 7. This will not only be an upgrade, but will help to troubleshoot the processor. If the chip doesn't work on this m/b then I'm going to be sending it to AMD for the fourth time.

Back