• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So I am making a few upgrades to my computer and putting a computer together for my girlfriend with a few parts from my computer. I am going to be giving her my 955 (Going to miss it).

Ideally I'd like to get the best bang for my buck so I can put more into the graphics card. I was looking at the FX8320 and the FX6350. Didnt really see a reason to drop the extra $55 or $70 for the FX8350.

Pure gaming. There any reason to spend the extra $$$ that I am overlooking?

Nope. For a pure gaming machine, more fund allocation in the GPU is a far superior way to go.

P2 is fine for gaming if you've already got it. If you're set on a CPU, get the 6300 and overclock the snot out of it. 4.4GHz is almost guaranteed out of those chips.

My advice would be a GPU for gaming, the 760 would be a nice upgrade for 1080p.

I would consider going CFX as well. PSU and motherboard are certainly more than enough and used 6970s should be really cheap.

P2 is fine for gaming if you've already got it. If you're set on a CPU, get the 6300 and overclock the snot out of it. 4.4GHz is almost guaranteed out of those chips.

My advice would be a GPU for gaming, the 760 would be a nice upgrade for 1080p.

I think I'm feeling the 6300 - makes sense to put the money into the GPU.

I don't want to get off topic as this is a CPU section but Im gaming at 1440. 760 wont be enough. Looking at 780 HOF. Just trying to figure out everything i'm needing to replace to get my gf a rig before I make a final selection.

Edit: One other question - no point in making another forum post. I know with the FX8xxx I would need to grab at least 1866 memory. Is that the same with the 63xx? Would it benefit from faster memory?

I would consider going CFX as well. PSU and motherboard are certainly more than enough and used 6970s should be really cheap.

Didn't even catch that, definitely a good idea.

I didnt even see these. I thought about this for a long time. I actually was thinking about grabbing a 6990 for tri-fire but it seemed the collective opinion was less heat - less issues - just get one card. And the HOF seems like that fit. "One card to rule them all"

The CFX suggestion was assuming you were a lot on smaller of a budget.

The HOF really isn't anything special, or significantly better than any other 780 out there. I wasn't going to put it that bluntly in the other thread just out of politeness to the rep though. I'd just get a cheaper EVGA ACX or Gigabyte Windforce model.

The CFX suggestion was assuming you were a lot on smaller of a budget.

The HOF really isn't anything special, or significantly better than any other 780 out there. I wasn't going to put it that bluntly in the other thread just out of politeness to the rep though. I'd just get a cheaper EVGA ACX or Gigabyte Windforce model.

But we are really only talking $20 $669 vs $689 and it is faster (it seems). I'd like to see these two cards put head to head. Dat white PCB!

in my gamming i like less heat to deal with so i game with my 6300 and not an 8 core.
with the 8 core you have to have big cooling and that means fan noise and rads.
with the 6300 at 4.9 I can run 3 r4 fans real slow on the 3 fan rad, so low that i can hear the video card fans as they spool up and down and i can't tell what processor is under it all from the game quality.

from that stand point my 965, it is the same as your 955, games just as well but with the smaller cooling system the system is louder and just not as pleasant as with the 6300.

crossfire?
I have run my 2 7770's in crossfire against my 7850 single and i will pick the 7850 single for game quality.
the cross fire setup produced more noise and i could tell by the gamming quality that the 7850 was producing better video.

$30-40 cheaper, I see the Zotac AMP cars for $649.99 with the same stock speed as the HOF and several other brands with aftermarket coolers at that price range. I'd rather have $30-40 in my pocket, I dunno about you.

Back