• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Upgrading help: AMD A10 7860K or FX 6300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So to summarize, the i3 is a decent Cpu for fallout because Fallout wasn't optimized better for Amd Cpus. But generally tho.. Is the i3 6100 a decent cpu compared to the fx-6300 or 8350? in terms of other games?

The FX 6300 will game better than your previous CPU. It's by far the cheaper upgrade over the i3 which is skylake so new motherboard and DDR4 ram On a tight budget you're not going to be maxing games out any way. If need be on games that don't utilize the extra cores you can disable them and speed up the CPU a bit since there'll be less heat. I currently game on a FX9370 without issue (never tried fallout) and was using an FX 6350 for a long time prior to that.

The FX 6300 will game better than your previous CPU. It's by far the cheaper upgrade over the i3 which is skylake so new motherboard and DDR4 ram On a tight budget you're not going to be maxing games out any way. If need be on games that don't utilize the extra cores you can disable them and speed up the CPU a bit since there'll be less heat. I currently game on a FX9370 without issue (never tried fallout) and was using an FX 6350 for a long time prior to that.

Good point! I'll just buy the FX-6300 as a interim upgrade and OC it. Then I'll use the extra cash for some decent GPU in the future. How's that sound?
edit:
the FX-8320 is like 15 bucks more. Should I get it or do i need a new PSU for future GPU upgrade?

Last edited:
You should look for an "E" version of FX Processor if minding TDP, PSU, and the word "upgrade" all at the same time.

Perhaps the FX 8370E if it's available in your area. Think there also FX 8320E as well.

It will game way better than that Athlon even with the current video card.

You should look for an "E" version of FX Processor if minding TDP, PSU, and the word "upgrade" all at the same time.

Perhaps the FX 8370E if it's available in your area. Think there also FX 8320E as well.

It will game way better than that Athlon even with the current video card.

The FX 8320E is available @140 bucks, the FX 8370E is @$210. Hmmm this is doable..

Nice. If you had sprung for a gtx 760 right now (ebay perhaps) should find that round 100 bucks. Use the 750 for physx if you play games that utilize them. Your gaming experience will be even better.

How about the Mems? Get the 1866 or stick with the 1600? Anybody tried the kingston HyperX before?

It seems my mobo can only handle 4gigs per slot. Is this set in stone?

There is 8GB stick listed on the last page.

Don't worry, 8GB will work. Why do you need 8GB sticks BTW?

2x4GB is enough.

There is 8GB stick listed on the last page.

Don't worry, 8GB will work. Why do you need 8GB sticks BTW?

2x4GB is enough.

Heh..I got a RAM meter running on the side of my desktop and I'm a bit OCD about it running out. Other than that. No reason really.

You grab 16 or 32 if you do photos/movies editing.

With what you would spend in the ram, you could get a better GPU and/or CPU...

If money is no issue, why not... And even, why?

Man, if you want to game, the RAM won't net you any extra FPS. I was running a [email protected] last year, with 8GB of RAM and a couple of 980's on a 4K monitor. Memory's never been an issue.

Buying DDR3 now makes no sense. it is an old tech now. All,platform are moving to DDR4 (Intel and AMD with Zen).

Do yourself a favour: grab a 6300, a decent cooler and a RX 480/GTX1060. You'll be settled til next year for a nice ultra setting/60FPS/1080p gaming.

I'd aim for the better binning of the E series 8 cores. They will likely OC better on less voltage. Plus those 2 extra cores may come in handy if you run virtual servers or heavy multi tasking. You get 2 extra cores on the same TDP output as the 6300.

A quick update: I went to the store and found out that the AMD FX-6300 was out of stock and they said it was unlikely to be restocked. But they had a FX 8320E on sale @115 bucks!! I reserved it for a day. Thoughts?

Back