• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Vcore voltages question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

Looking on HW Monitor at my voltages and noticed that the only one that changes is CPU Vcore, assuming this is normal and not suppose to stay constant?

Also, while I'm showing a screenshot, how does my other voltages look?

Attachments

• voltages.jpg
    voltages.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 123
Im convinced that either every other mobo I have owned in the last two years reads voltages high or the R2.0 sabertooth reads them low. Normally id be concerned with the 11.53V on your 12V rail especially if thats an idle voltage, but again Im pretty sure this mobo miss reads the main rails.

As to the CPU vCore it is supposed to fluctuate. When the CPU idles at a low clockspeed it can run very low voltage ~0.9v to reduce power consumption. At load the CPU will pull the voltage below the set level so the motherboard will compensate by adding a bit more voltage to stabilize the system. When you set LLC to high or above it purposely overshoots the desired vCore. On the AMD platform I personally like the LLC to overshoot my set voltage by a bit because I can keep my idle vCore even a tiny bit lower than normal and still keep the system stable. This bit of overshoot also ensures that the voltage wont drop below the stable voltage if you have set it properly, but at the cost of very slightly higher temps.

I'm going to go with the mobo miss reading, as I just put this PSU in like 3 days ago and my last PSU showed the exact same volts of 11.53

I have the same exact PSU and I have run it across probably a dozen different combinations of MOBO and GPU(s) including a Sabertooth 990FX original and they all read the +12V rail on this PSU at 11.9-12.1v depending on load.

It's almost certainly the mobo, especially if it never moves and two PSUs read the same. No two PSUs should read exactly the same, and it almost always changes a little bit under a heavy load.
Don't worry about it.

Back