• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu voltage, cooling vs. life time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I want to start of by saying this has nothing to do with my current :bang head issues about what to buy!

After reading a thread on another forum, the question popped up.

Why does the amount of voltage added to a CPU when overclcoking, take away from the life span, if the CPU is kept cool?

This got me reading. I sat down and browsed this: http://www.overclockers.com/overclockings-impact-on-cpu-life/

I dont know if it is lazyness, language barrier or missing concept of understanding (Prolly this one) but i failed to get my question answered by reading that text.

Could some one explain to me how this works?

It appears to me that your primary questions involve how much heat, current, and time interplay to degrade your electronics. If I'm wrong, so be it and oh well.

The article referenced/linked is accurate. The main take-away from it should be the argument regarding 24/7 usage and cooling. A dear friend and mentor relayed the same info to me 25 years ago and he'd been working with computers for 35 years at that time. So I'm figuring that the math has been in place so long it's considered common knowledge by now. Cycling on/off of electronics with a strong thermal delta will cause micro structures to crack eventually = Dead electronics. Therefore the cooler that you can keep them, even with frequent cycling, reduces that opportunity. :thup:

Back