• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Voltage Higher Than Set

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hostility

Hey there,

I have recently built myself a PC with an i7 6700K Skylake processor. I have begun my adventure into overclocking, but have hit a rather confusing roadblock.

I have set my CPU VCore voltage in my BIOS on manual mode, at 1.250 Volts, with a CPU ratio of 44, giving me a 4.4GHz OC. Everything has been left to it's default setting, or auto. However, when I boot into Windows and run CPU-Z and HWMonitor, my voltage when idling is around 0.8 and spikes up to ~1.4 When I run an AIDA64 stress test, the voltage goes up to around 1.45.

I do not want this much voltage as I am afraid that it will deteriorate or kill my CPU. Please let me know how I can keep the voltage at a constant 1.25. I have also lowered the LLC within AISuite 3, but that has only brought the voltage down to 1.420.

My specs are listed below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Also a little note is that the stock voltage was set to 1.325, and I was seeing if I could undervolt as I thought that the stock voltage was quite high.

Thanks for your help!

More than likely, the software is misreporting the actual supplied voltage level.

What did you change LLC to?

I haven't gotten to play with my skylake chip yet, but from what I'm reading, most people are going up to 1.4 when overclocking. Intel's stated max is 1.45 and, of course, they'll always be conservative.

I think I've seen HWInfo suggested as an accurate source of voltage info for skylake. I would give that a try. My guess is, if you're manually setting 1.25, vdroop is probably bringing it down to 1.2ish (tho, your LLC change could negate the droop).

You still have the 'green' settings enabled. ;)
Turn them off.
And don't use AISuite. Make your changes directly in the bios.

More than likely, the software is misreporting the actual supplied voltage level.

What did you change LLC to?

I haven't gotten to play with my skylake chip yet, but from what I'm reading, most people are going up to 1.4 when overclocking. Intel's stated max is 1.45 and, of course, they'll always be conservative.

I think I've seen HWInfo suggested as an accurate source of voltage info for skylake. I would give that a try. My guess is, if you're manually setting 1.25, vdroop is probably bringing it down to 1.2ish (tho, your LLC change could negate the droop).

I changed LLC to Level 3, but it made no difference, my voltages still went through the roof. I'm away from my computer at the moment, so when I get home, I'll try again using HWInfo to monitor.

- - - Updated - - -

You still have the 'green' settings enabled. ;)
Turn them off.
And don't use AISuite. Make your changes directly in the bios.

Where exactly can I find the 'green' settings? Are they in the BIOS? I used AISuite to change the LLC because I couldn't find it in the BIOS because I was blind lol. I've been doing everything through the BIOS from that point on. I'm away from my computer at the moment so when I get home, I'll try and find the green settings and turn them off to see if it makes a difference.

Where exactly can I find the 'green' settings? Are they in the BIOS? I used AISuite to change the LLC because I couldn't find it in the BIOS because I was blind lol. I've been doing everything through the BIOS from that point on. I'm away from my computer at the moment so when I get home, I'll try and find the green settings and turn them off to see if it makes a difference.

I think Mr.Scott may be referring to the options for C-States and Speedstep in the BIOS. You also have the EPU Power saving mode too. There may be other options in there also. I *think* all those options will be in your AI Tweaker and Advanced tabs in your bios (Advanced►CPU Configuration possibly)

Just a quick update, I have played around with all of those settings with no luck. EPU Power Saving is disabled, and my Asus setting is set to Balanced. Disabling Intel Speedstep did nothing, and I did not touch C-states because as far as I'm concerned, they do not interfere with OCing, however if I am all out of ideas, I will try and play around with C-states. I feel as though as I might have a defective voltage controller, but if there are any other settings that I could change, please let me know.

my Asus setting is set to Balanced
Needs to be set to high performance.
Speedstep disabled
All C-states disabled
EIST disabled
OS power scheme set to high performance

Last edited:
Back