• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu vtt voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It might help, but the IMC in each CPU will vary. You might get better results, or you might get worse results.

It will allow you to run w/ a lower BCLK which might help you run the RAM w/ the 12x RAM multi more easily. 167x24=4GHz-CPU; 167x12=DDR3-2000.

I didn't have those extra multis available to me, so I couldn't try that.

But keep in mind that a lower speed w/ tighter timings will be very comparable. Any of these 3 options below is basically equivalent.

DDR3-2000 8-8-8-24
DDR3-1750 7-7-7-21
DDR3-1500 6-6-6-18

Last edited:
You can't? I swear I remember lowering the QPI multi on the recent 920 rig I built for a friend.

A few Google hits shows 18x, 20x, and 22x QPI multi's available. Are we discussing 2 different things here?

Yes, you are correct Jason. The options for QPI link are Auto, 18x, 20x, and 22x. Some motherboards also offer Slow Mode. 18x would be representative of 4.8GT/s @ 133 bclk. Most 920/930/950 will not allow more than the lowest multiplier (when overclocking the CPU) as it's multiplied off of the base clock as well. Higher QPI link speeds are usually present with Xeon (dual chip capable CPU's). As higher QPI link rates are a requirement for dual CPU boards.
For a 930 I would suggest auto or x18 multi. Once you're overclocking the CPU, the gains in QPI link speed from having a higher link rate, are fairly negligible. And adding another layer of possible instability is something that is not needed for a basic 24/7 overclock.
My original wording was a bit misleading, sorry about that. If you try increasing QPI link speed past the multiplier that the CPU is rated for (while overclocking the CPU), you will probably be met with a no post situation.

i set all my bios settings back to stock settings, and when my mobo posts it still only reads 4 of the 6 gigs i have on installed on the mobo. Is the cpu mem controller shot? i can still log into windows, its just that windows only sees 4 gigs of ram instead of six that it should be utilizing

on stock settings at post the memory is showing up as 1066, i bumped it down to 800mhz and still it only posts with 4 gigs of ram instead of 6 gigs even though there is six gigs installed on the mobo

Normally I would say increase CPU VTT. Although, did the 2GB of ram stop showing up when you were overclocked earlier with the VTT already increased?

yes thats when it happened. b4 i started o/cing and messing around with things in the bios it read 6 gigs, this is why im thinking i may have damaged the cpu

i tried to get my pc to post with just one stick of memory but it wont. it only posts with 2. also windows is only seeing 2 of the 4 gigs i have installed. currently i set my mobo back to stock settings.

Last edited:
i believe dimm 1 on my mobo is bad. if i put memory in that dimm slot my pc wont boot. if i put the memory in slots 3 and 5 my computer will boot and it will read the 4/4 gigs. any thoughts?

i believe dimm 1 on my mobo is bad. if i put memory in that dimm slot my pc wont boot. if i put the memory in slots 3 and 5 my computer will boot and it will read the 4/4 gigs. any thoughts?

Sounds like you've got it narrowed down to me. :thup: RMA time

EVGA boards had a problem with heavy RAM. Make sure to psuh straight down on the ram very firmly. Do not rely on the click of the fastners to indicate it is in far enough.

It could also be dust in the DIMM slot try blowing it out.

Classifieds are POWER House boards but require you to set every detail, not something I would have chosen for a Gamer TBH. Something like the Rampage III Gene or Formula would be better suited towards that.

(and overclocking to 200 BCLK is as easy as setting that on the R3 all auto settings on a 920 I got to about 210BCLK)

EVGA boards had a problem with heavy RAM. Make sure to psuh straight down on the ram very firmly. Do not rely on the click of the fastners to indicate it is in far enough.

It could also be dust in the DIMM slot try blowing it out.

Classifieds are POWER House boards but require you to set every detail, not something I would have chosen for a Gamer TBH. Something like the Rampage III Gene or Formula would be better suited towards that.

(and overclocking to 200 BCLK is as easy as setting that on the R3 all auto settings on a 920 I got to about 210BCLK)

You gotta learn some way, i had a asus for my previous build i wanted to try something different. but thx for chiming in

You gotta learn some way, i had a asus for my previous build i wanted to try something different. but thx for chiming in

Classified is a beast don't get me wrong. the comment about the ASUS was directed at a previous poster who said that overclocking is not that easy. And depending on the board it really is that easy.

Classified is not one of them though. But for maximum potential it STILL can't be beat.

Did you try cleaning out or pushing the DIMM slot in firmly yet?

So, slot-1 may be bad, and I'm assuming you were using slots 1, 3, & 5 when this happened. Did you try slots 2, 4, & 6 to see if you can get tri-channel to work like that?

Check your mainboard bios for updates before looking too hard. I had 6gb showing up as 4gb, until I upgraded the bios on my evga x58 E758-A1. Didn't happen at stock settings. Insufficient cpu vtt can also cause this problem.

Last edited:
Back