• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cracked fan, lucky computer. (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had one of those fans. Same EXACT THING happend. Mine had the 3 diff color RGB LEDs though. Dunno if yours had that. But cracked down the middle, came loose from the motor and shot it off inside my case. From the way it landed, I guess it shot off, hit my HDD cage and bounced back, then landed ontop of my video card. Everything but the fan survived.

I have two of those fans! The red LEDs just died on one of them but at least it still cools my computer. The other one is still working fine.

i used to work for an injection molding company

regarding clear plastic in general, its much more brittle because all the standard materials that make plastic impact resistant are not transparent

so generally, when you see a transparent plastic that is slightly cloudy, and not crystal clear, it is more flexible, and less prone to cracking/shattering

there are exceptions to this of course, but i think the materials that are crystal clear as well as flexible are much more expensive, and not very widely used

Luckily I don't use transparent fans. My bro has 120mm transparent one from Enermax, but it seems to be hard lexan - once I put finger in it moving at full speed and only got slightly injuried, but fan was ok.

Only time I ever had a fan issue like that is when I accidently touched a 60mm Delta screamer and the blade cut a nice chunk out of my palm. I learned my lesson and I stay far away from my JMC counter-rotating 10,500rpm Northy fan I have now.

Honestly, I haven't seen any clear or LED fans that weren't total junk. At some point you have to decide whether you are buying a painting or a fan. I myself have no clue what looks best until I know what works best. No need to go to metal fans, just don't use junk. Mechatronics, NMB, Delta, Panaflo, and Sanyo are my favorites. These guys are the fan pros; junk like that just proves that anybody with some startup capital and connections in China can get a fan to market. And don't suppose it has to say "Cre-Air" to be affected, that's probably the exact same fan-substitute sold under any number of names most have never heard of.

Agreed - dont use tat to cool your pc....you wouldnt cool your high performance car engine by training an asthmatic mouse to blow on it, why do the same to your computer?

Meh...I stopped using LED fans for the most part. Just have one on my video card, but that's because I don't have any normal fans left. :p

larva said:
Honestly, I haven't seen any clear or LED fans that weren't total junk. At some point you have to decide whether you are buying a painting or a fan. I myself have no clue what looks best until I know what works best. No need to go to metal fans, just don't use junk. Mechatronics, NMB, Delta, Panaflo, and Sanyo are my favorites. These guys are the fan pros; junk like that just proves that anybody with some startup capital and connections in China can get a fan to market. And don't suppose it has to say "Cre-Air" to be affected, that's probably the exact same fan-substitute sold under any number of names most have never heard of.

I agree with the larva, my position is I will never use a clear or led fan on a critical component like a heatsink or a radiator. I use high quality fans for those components, but I do have two cheap UV led fans in the rear of my case, simply providing exit air. Even if they crap out, they wont kill anything should they fail.

i have 6 LED fans - 2 for intake and 4 for exhaust at the back of the case - but i have 3 high-quality sunons on my radiator, and i doubt thoes will fail anytime soon

and all of the LED fans have the cheapo wire grills on them for that "just in case" insurance factor... and so that i don't rape my hand when i'm working on my case while its still on (all too often)

Once I superglued fan - it had rare dual blade design, and I accidently put my finger in it - one of blades broke off, after superglueing it worked for some time, but it broke off again. Basically if something bad happens to your fan - get another - this one isn't reliable anymore. (it was black btw)

Normal, non-transparent fans are known to be more solid and thanks to being heavier, they should undervolt nicer. The only transparent fan I haven't found to be crap is Enermax.

Yeah, I do like the Enermax 120mm fan, unfortunately the speed adjuster gave up on the example I have. I had not intended to lump it in with the sort of junk this thread was started to warn of.

I find the Enermax 92mm to have an aerodynamic whine to it not present in the best units at equivelant airflow levels. It's not junk, just not as effective a design as the 120mm version.

JohnDoemakt said:
Since Intel fan = Sanyo Denki, the oc.com army will soon pummel you :D

(yes those are used q-tips)

Q-tips are quite underestimated in modding context. This is perhaps one of my best mods. My NB was getting to hot, so I put this thing on with a rubber band and some AS.

http://brillegeit.com/Crapbilder/DSCN0773.JPG
http://brillegeit.com/Crapbilder/DSCN0776.JPG

Used q-tips on the otherhand belongs on the floor with the rest of the garbage.
Websters' should us this pic as the illustration for "Ghetto Mod" when that term is added to the dictionary.

Back