• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crackling sound when playing music??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

I have the new rig in my sig. It's a week old today and ever since i've had it it's been doing this, I thought it was a driver issue.. ?
What happens is, when I play music or watch movies, every now and then I get cracks or pops through my sound system. It seems louder when the volume is turned up and the sound makes it seem like an old vinyl record!

My OS is Win7 64-bit, and I have a Creative analogue system with about an 8" sub woofer (was given to me by a friend a few years ago, but never had this problem at all until I built this machine)

So far, I have tried different plug outlets for the speaker system, and tried messing with the Gigabyte / Realtek HD audio manager. I've also unplugged the front audio jack from the mobo but nothing has made any difference.

All 5 + 1 speakers are configured correctly and sound great until you get a pop or a crack!

I'm at a loss really, so putting the problem out to you guys! :(

p.s. Everything on this PC is stock settings.

Thanks!

Okay, this must be a driver problem.. I uninstalled the Gigabyte software (the HD stuff) and rebooted like it asked me to. Upon logging in again, the system automatically installed a Microsoft driver for the sound, labelled as High Definintion Audio device, driver 6.1.7600.16385
Sound is crisp as anything, but I dont have the option to tell it to play out of all 5 speakers...

Okay I downloaded and installed the Win7 drivers from the Gigabyte website and everything is crisp now.

I think I had made a rookie mistake and used the installation CD that came with the mobo to install everything including sound. But these were for Vista..

So, all fixed. Panic over nothing.

Similar problem

I've recently custom built a new system. I'm also having some issues with sound. I'm using a Soundblaster audigy LS. When I play any sort of audio whether it be mp3, audio CD, DVD, Youtube.. even Windows start up sounds I hear a crackling through my speakers. I also get it when I use head phones and when I switch to the realtek onboard sound. It's not constant it's random but frequent.

So far I have updated drivers, tried different speakers, cleaned the sound card, tried a different sound card, Re-installed windows, switched off the SLI config, removed my webcam, logitech G19. Turned off other electrical devices in the house including the fridge in case of external interference. I can't for the life of me work out what could be the cause and it's driving me mad.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated. Thank you.

-------------------------------------
Here's my system spec

Cooler Master storm trooper case

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 8 with AMD liquid cooling

RAM: 16384 Mb

Graphics Card: 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1023 Mb in SLI config (currently switched to one card)

Hard Drives: 4 (2 SSD and 2 SATA)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-990FXA-UD7

Corsair AX850 PSU

Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated and Enabled

Solved It

Problem was with the over clocking software bundled with the mainboard. Program called Easytune 6 was causing the sound distortion. Once I uninstalled it the problem went away. Re-installed and the distortion returned.

Not found a patch or a fix for this problem so far.

i had the same problem with my old mobo. its was something wrong with realtech drivers. i couldnt handle audio out and mic in at the same time.

Back