• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Craigslist Freebies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Poking around on CL's freebies section you can find gems if you're persistent enough. I normally scour the freebies section and have come across some really good pc parts. Unfortunately those parts are posted in areas which are too far away. Not cost effective gas wise.

Well today doing my usual lurking about I stumbled upon a post from someone tossing out an P67 setup :eek: Fired off an email letting them know I'd like to snag them up today. They replied quick and stated the parts will be in a box outside by a laundromat, but that they would not be able to guard it as they're moving. So I hauled *** and got there in 15min and found the box. They were nice enough to kind of hide it from plain view so no one would be able to get to it before me ;)

So I got home with my dusty treasure box and when I looked inside I found:

MSI P67A-G45 (B3) board with I/O shield
i5 2500k chip
CM Hyper 212 (1st version)
8GB (2x4gb) GSKill Ripjaws X DDR3-1333
MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC

And of course all the dust/lint and caked on grime was also included :rofl:

So with some cleaning up, I have a pretty decent freebie back-up rig :D

Any of you guys scored freebies from CL?

Wow Thats a nice find , thats a better pc than than one of my friends that has been PC gaiming for 15+ years .
My best score was a buddys brother was upgrading and gave me a Core i7-920 and a Mb and a case .
I put some dual channel ram a 50$ PSU and a 670gtx and a 120g ssd sold it for 500$

Wow Thats a nice find , thats a better pc than than one of my friends that has been PC gaiming for 15+ years .
My best score was a buddys brother was upgrading and gave me a Core i7-920 and a Mb and a case .
I put some dual channel ram a 50$ PSU and a 670gtx and a 120g ssd sold it for 500$

Nice! I've done that several times with CL finds and dumpster diving, lol.

My neighbor was throwing out an ooooooold Mac a few months ago. I know some people would pay a pretty penny for these in good condition, but I couldn't bring myself to ask if I could pick through their garbage. I still wonder if it was one that could've been cleaned up and sold for a profit.

I had my eyes on an old G5, but someone beat me to it. Now I'm lurking on CL again to see if I can score on a case & psu.

Well I know the area as I used to live nearby. After some real good cleaning of both the cpu cooler, gpu cooler, board, mem. Put it all back together, some fresh thermal goo, it fired right up. Installing winders to see what it's capable of :)

Well I'm impressed with this little chitbox, lol. Managed to get 4.5Ghz with 1.36v and ram @ 1600-9-9-9-24-1T & 1.55v and it's been running XTU full bore for the past 20min. I got it stressing the cpu for 1hr. Temps with the CM 212 V1 hover around mid 50's. Also as an added bonus, using a pos Allied 350w psu and it's not even getting warm, lmao!! I know I'll need a quality psu for it tho. Even a freebie needs to be taken care of right ;)

I'll keep lurking around CL to see if I can snag a free or cheapo case to house it :D

Last edited:
Man the hits just keep comming! Scored a black Antec P180 case with a 550w Psu! Psu is to be desired: CoolMax CR-550B. Looks beefy and has some weight to it. Checking the rails, they're all spot on. I can't complain as it's another freebie.

Yeah I know, THAT power supply, ugh. But hey it works for now.

Man the hits just keep comming! Scored a black Antec P180 case with a 550w Psu! Psu is to be desired: CoolMax CR-550B. Looks beefy and has some weight to it. Checking the rails, they're all spot on. I can't complain as it's another freebie.

Yeah I know, THAT power supply, ugh. But hey it works for now.

Ever since your first post, I check several times a day now and not even one glimmer of hope for a good PC score in the Freebie section. You must live in a good area for this stuff!

Ever since your first post, I check several times a day now and not even one glimmer of hope for a good PC score in the Freebie section. You must live in a good area for this stuff!

Yeah. I'm pretty close to several universities too. Once school is out for the summer, I be finding all kinds of gold when these college kids leave and start tossing stuff :D I'm right next to RPI as well (Rennselear Polytechnic Institute) which the campus is HUGE!

Good start selling that shi(r)t and send me my part

Sell? Nahh, gonna use it for streaming on twitch while I game on my main. Don't worry, your toy is still here :p

*Edit*

It's ALIVE! :D

Attachments

• DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00079.JPG
    DSC00079.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Lucky you!

Best freebie I ever got was a...

No, lying there scored some nice one, not PC parts, but even better :p: a 500KLE from 99, 20K miles,; brand new. Keihin air filters and big nozzle. Gift from a buddy... Was not using it and was left in his parking lot for like the 2 last years :D

Lucky you!

Best freebie I ever got was a...

No, lying there scored some nice one, not PC parts, but even better :p: a 500KLE from 99, 20K miles,; brand new. Keihin air filters and big nozzle. Gift from a buddy... Was not using it and was left in his parking lot for like the 2 last years :D

Noice score! Freebies are always good! :thup: Not used to seeing the ketchup and mustard spaghetti wiring, it's erking the hell outta me.

Back