• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crashing, Freezing and Bluescreens in Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neillithan

Registered
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Before, I start explaining the problem, I want to point out that the issue I'm having with Windows 7 is a long standing issue with my computer and has existed since the day I built it. I am able to install Windows XP without problems and it runs beautifully! Never an issue! The same is true for bootable programs and even bootable Linux distributions (So long as they're running from the CD/DVD and not the system). As soon as I attempt to install Linux, any form of linux, Windows Vista or Windows 7, my computer freezes up, locks up, bluescreens and just DIES. The only OS I have been able to use is Windows XP and it NEVER FAILS! :D

Okay, onto the issue:

I recently acquired Windows 7 and I partitioned one of my harddrives so I could install it. I created a new 20GB partition and formatted it using the Windows 7 Install disk. I began installing it and when it started expanding, my computer locked up completely at 0%.

I went into my Bios and disabled my PCIex graphics and used the onboard. I attempted to install again, it made it to 19% and then bluescreened with a "Memory Management" error.

I pulled out all but 1 stick of ram and attempted to reinstall Windows 7. It completed the installation without issues. It booted into Windows 7 and I could do anything and everything without issues. It was extremely stable.

So I rebooted, changed my graphics to PCIEX in my bios and installed graphics drivers. No issues. Graphics card is working GREAT in Windows 7.

I rebooted, put in a stick of ram so now I'm running 2 sticks of ram side by side, not in dual channel. I get back into Windows 7 and it either freezes, reboots instantly or shows me the Memory Management BSOD. Pretty much all manner of crashing happens because of the second ram stick.

Apparently, Windows 7 does not like working with multiple sticks of ram. I upgraded my BIOS to the latest version and the issue STILL persists.

I am running everything at stock timings and clocks.

These are my hardware specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Socket AM2
GPU: BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOC2E GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
RAM: (2x) OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK - Retail
MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
HD: All Seagates SATA 3Gbps
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Any ideas, suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
-Neil

P.S. It has been less than 6 months since my last memtest, but I have ran a memtest on my computer for an extended period (6-10 hours) and there were no issues. It has been even longer since I did a CPU torture test, but I have ran CPU torture tests in the past and my computer never produced any errors, crashes or freezes. I have ran GPU benchmarks before and they never fail. Admittedly, my computer does suffer from the occasional lockup / reboot which happens 3-4 times a month but ONLY when I'm doing something extremely strenuous like playing a game that has really amazing cutting edge graphics. Essentially what I'm saying is, my computer is pretty stable (at least from my point of view).

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!:welcome: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=491697
Well I guess I'll get this party started.
Do you have the latest bios and chipset drivers?
What is your cpu and ram voltage set at in the bios?

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I did download and flash my bios with the latest version. I have yet to get official chipset drivers for my motherboard in Windows 7. That will be something I do.

I don't know what my CPU and RAM voltage is in bios because everything is set to Auto.

Set your ddr, cpu, and nbsb voltage manually. Usually start out with the stock(default voltage I think is 1.35-.40) on the cpu, ddr 2.0, and nbsb at 1.2 to start out with.
See if that helps.

Okay, it appears (according to CPU-Z) that my CPU core voltage is 1.504. My memory voltage is 1.8.

So, should I continue setting it to 1.35 or 1.40 like you suggested or go straight to 1.504? Also, since my ram is running at 1.8, should I set it to 2.0?

I do not know what nbsb is. Can you elaborate?

Sorry, I know it must be annoying to give the same answer twice, but I just want to be as careful as possible before I accidentally mess things up in my bios due to my lack of experience. :(

Thanks,
-Neil

EDIT: I was getting those values from within Windows XP, not Windows 7. I don't know if Windows 7 will reflect different voltages.

Last edited:
I would set the cpu voltage to 1.35 http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/M2A-VM/images/b_vcore1.jpg to start out at. What's your cpu core temps at 1.5? I'm sorry if I missed it but what cpu cooling are you using?
Yes I would set your ram higher than 1.8 Default setting is 1.9-2.1 http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_platinum_revision_2_dual_channel
Also, use the ram timing they have, 4-4-4-15 for stock speeds. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/M2A-VM/images/b_vddr.jpg

The nbsb is your chipset voltage. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/M2A-VM/images/b_vnbsb.jpg

I googled your mb and came up with this site for bios images. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/M2A-VM/5.html

Edit: after looking closer at the bios, it seems you can't set the ram timings manually.

Last edited:
This is kinda weird, but when I changed my cpu voltage from auto to 1.5 in my bios and once booted into XP, it shows a core voltage of 1.6 in CPU-Z. That's pretty weird.

My temperatures are decent. Idle is 40-43. Under load it was 50ish and under a Prime95 torture test, it never went above 56.

I'm using a non stock CPU air cooler. It's a pretty big fan and is one of the popular heatsinks at newegg.com (at least when I bought it).

I'm going to experiment with the voltages now, I'll let you know what I discover.

Thanks,
-Neil

Holy crap. I changed the voltages like you said and I've been using Windows 7 for almost 2 hours now without a crash, freeze or bluescreen. I have benchmarked my PC using the Windows 7 rating, I have played UT2004 for like 10 minutes, I have spent the last 2 hours installing programs and giving my computer a good workout.

I don't want to speak too soon, but it looks like lowering the voltage of the CPU from 1.5 to 1.35, increasing the voltage of the ram from 1.8 to 2.0 and setting the NBSB voltage to 1.2 did the trick.

Thank you SO much. :) I will let you know if I freeze or have any more problems.

-Neil

Back