• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crawlspace open loop water cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eigregor

I have an amd 9370 with a closed loop setup (Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX). Idle temps stay low, between 14-24C, but this is because I have it in energy saving mode. If OC, it still heats up pretty quick (peak of 85C) and the PC will power down within a couple seconds of starting a game. This is likely on me, since I have my PC setup in a closet (there is no door on the closet and it is placed in there in order to have it connected to my living room TV), so ventilation is pretty crappy despite all of the fans in the case (Cooler Master HAF XB II EVO). So, finally to my question. I am considering doing an open loop water cooling system on it and I am just wondering if you know if anyone else has tried what I am considering.
So, I would prefer to keep my PC in the current location and because of this I am considering using copper tubing through the floor and placing a radiator in the crawlspace or copper tubing runs buried a couple inches in the dirt/crawlspace. Since the temp in the crawlspace is always cooler than the temp in the home, I think that this would cool my cpu much more than having an internal open loop setup. This would require flexible quick connect/disconnect to the PC, a stronger pump (because of the amount of fluid that will be in the tubes), and I would have to figure out a way to drain and fill the system. So, has anybody tried this? Does it seem practical/doable? Also, does anybody have any ideas for draining the system?
When I worked at the dealership, the flush machines we used for transmissions and coolant flushes had quick connects that pushed new fluid in while it sucked the old fluid out. This would just require a separate pump assembly and lines for me to connect to it once a year or so, but this is one option that I was considering....besides the obvious one (me dragging my *** into the crawlspace every time to properly drain it).

A system like this is quite doable. I run an external radiator in my system that I put outside in the winter to get the system good and cold. If you are looking for quick disconnects check out the offerings from koolance. They are a little pricey but worth the money. Other than that the system can be built like any custom loop. Keep the reservoir before the pump and you should be good to go.

I would personally recommend running a radiator in the crawler with a fan versus trying to run copper pipe in the ground. A ground loop is possible but you need a lot of pipe in the ground to dissipate the heat effectively.

Just an fyi this is still considered a closed loop system unless you are running an open reservoir.

Is the crawlspace directly below the closet with the PC? Are you comfortable cutting into the flooring? High ambient temps are bad for the entire system, not just the CPU, so it might make more sense to get some good airflow into the closet via the cool crawlspace. It would probably be easier and more cost effective to cool the closet with the PC than it would to create an open loop cooling system.

Yes, the crawlspace is directly below this closet and I have already drilled holes through in the past for Ethernet and other cable runs. This closet has unfinished walls on one side, so I will be drilling through the wall/floor framing like I have done in the past. As far as the overall temps in the case, like the motherboard temp, it stays fairly cool despite the current setup. I do also have a fan on the top shelf above the computer and all of my AV equipment to help blow all of the heat out of the closet. Also, I do plan on installing a ceiling mounted exhaust fan (similar to a bathroom fan) and have it exhaust to the hallway. I have redone all of the plumbing in my home, built a second bathroom in my house (after taking it down to the floor joists), so any type of work like cutting holes in the floor or running copper tubing doesn't worry me. The main thing is that if it is outside of the tower, I can use a larger radiator and I have the benefit of having the cooler crawlspace temp on my side.

Also, I did just check out koolance.com and those quick disconnect fittings would be great for this.

You do not mention what gpu you are using, are you considering water cooling that as well?

If you're going to go through all of that, forget that rad and pump and just tap a waterline, run that through your waterblock and out to a drain line.

Have you considered cutting a vent down low and another up high in the closet to get better ventilation. You could even install the radiator in front of the lower duct and use that to pull air into the closet. You would get the benefit of colder air on the radiator and better overall airflow through the closet and then you would not need the exhaust fan.

If you're going to go through all of that, forget that rad and pump and just tap a waterline, run that through your waterblock and out to a drain line.
Oh and this is funny, could you imagine the water bill:D I think my borough would kill me.

Sorry. We don't pay for water separately here. I thought it was more common than it actually is I guess.

We get killed for water here. We not only pay for water usage in but then I have to pay sewage fee for it going back out. So even if I am not puting it out as sewage (water flowers, washing car, etc.) I still pay a sewage fee for it.

A long time ago we used to have to pay for water and sewer. Now it is included in our property taxes at a flat rate.
Note though, Monroe County NYS is the highest taxed county in the state, and I'm pretty sure top 10 highest in the country.

You do not mention what gpu you are using, are you considering water cooling that as well?

I currently have the main r9 390, which I would end up water cooling if I went this route. With all of this my motherboard temp is right around 30c during normal/light use.

- - - Updated - - -

Auto correct changed it from MSI to main. So again the GPU is the MSI r9 390.

As far as connecting it to the tap water, I was actually thinking about that today how funny it would be to set it up like that. Hell, how hot those cards get I could run copper tubing along the floor by the front door and make my CPU be the source for radiant heated floors....jokingly of course.

I'm not sure if the tap water idea would be ideal. I think you'll have mineral and deposits clog up the channels to the blocks.

As for the crawlspace, I remember going into crawlspaces at different locations where it was warmer in there during hot summers than it was in a A/C'd homes so I'm not sure if this will be a good idea either.

Back