• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crazy temps on an older core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark Shade

Registered
Hey all,

So I built my sister a gaming machine a few months back but it is running some very high temps (it has done this from the start, I simply have only just got around to posting about it :p). It is running an EVGA 680i SLI mobo paired with a Core 2 Extreme QX6700 CPU. It is running what I think is a Zalman CNPS 9500 Heatsink. At least that was the closest I can find in google images. When my sister is idling the core or browsing the web etc. it hovers around 55-60 degrees or so, and under a gaming load tops off at roughly 80-85. This can't be normal can it? I realize this is a Core 2 Extreme series core, but in the review Here they show that an intel processor (they dont say which one...) runs idle @ 27 and load @ 38... Any particular steps I should be doing here or is this actually normal for an Extreme series core?

Thanks,
Dark Shade

Clean the heatsink and redo the thermal paste.
You may have too little thermal paste!

With Arctic Silver 5, I had to make it more than a grain of rice. I had to go to pea size or else only one side was getting paste!

Alrighty I shall take it apart again :p Just wanted to make sure that the temps it was getting wasn't normal before undergoing the disassembly. I have not had any previous experience with 'Extreme' processors, so I wasn't sure what to expect from it :)

Usually, with a good cooler and good paste application/mount I get around 30-35°C idle with most Core 2 chips I've tested, and 50-60°C load in a room with 20-24°C ambient temperatures.

So, yeah, either you got a bad mount or the cooler can't handle the heat output of the CPU (it should be able to handle the heat output though).

Yeah I remounted it and used a set of ArctiClean that i recently got. It did lower temps by ~5 degrees or so, but not what I was hoping. I am likely going to be receiving a new sealed-type water cooler soon so I will give it a shot to see as this cooler was used and ~6 years old or so.

Thanks for the advise!

Back