• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creating 64bit install USB drive on 32bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yanko693

I'm attempting to create a bootable flash drive to copy an iso of windows ultimate I have onto. I am currently running 32 bit ultimate and am following the directions in an article in Maximum PC. I have succesfully set up the usb drive up to the part where you actually make it bootable. The article says that you must use 32 bit files on a 32 bit system for it to work. I however am on 32 bit but wanting to put 64 bit installation files on the flash drive for installation on my new pc. Any way to do this? or should I just burn a DVD

There are no 64bit installers AFAIK so you should have no problem using whatever you have laying around.

what version of windows xp or 7?

with 7 you can use a clean usb drive and copy the dvd to the usb and boot from it that way.

i have 4 versions of windows on my usb. when i need to install i just move the files from the folder i need to root and install away.

what version of windows xp or 7?

with 7 you can use a clean usb drive and copy the dvd to the usb and boot from it that way.

i have 4 versions of windows on my usb. when i need to install i just move the files from the folder i need to root and install away.

Do you have a guide? The only one I found would let you install XP, Vista/7, PE and linux but not differnt versions of each one of those. I would love to set one up with XP, 7 32bit and 7 64 bit.

I didn't use any tools. just copied the disc to the root of the USB and it booted right up.

though it used to be a Acronis boot usb drive so that might have "prepped" the drive to boot.

I didn't use any tools. just copied the disc to the root of the USB and it booted right up.

though it used to be a Acronis boot usb drive so that might have "prepped" the drive to boot.

My mistake, I thought you meant you had a stick with 4 versions of windows 7 on it.

I already have a multu boot usb stick for XP and 7 was looking for a tool that would let you load multiple versions of 7.

You need to use a special tool to support multiple partitions on a USB stick as bootable USB only sees the first partition.

I realize this postis old, but it took me forever to find out how to do this. I finally seen an article at http://truthactual.site50.net/64to32usbtutor.html that deals with this, the only difference is that they are using XP 32bit to install 7 64bit using a usb drive. Should work for you too, I prefer using mbrwizard anyday over diskpart. Plus diskpart doesnt work correctly for this when using XP, so yeah. But you could use mbrwizard to make the usb bootable, and use the 32bit bootsect program provided on that website since the 64bit version on the 7 dvd iso wont run because you're using a 32bit OS. After that just highlight and copy all files in the iso to the usb stick. Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Back