• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

critique my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Efonzerellie

Looks solid, but why 8GB? Most are fine with 4GB. More ram will tend to hinder your overclock.

As far as Crossfiring that card, you rocking a 1920x1080/1200 monitor right? Even so, one 6870 is still enough to charge through that resolution. Anything less and Crossfire is a waste IMHO.

That PSU, IIRC, is just mediocre quality. I would get something like Corsair 750TX for $90 after MIR.

Looks solid, but why 8GB? Most are fine with 4GB. More ram will tend to hinder your overclock.

As far as Crossfiring that card, you rocking a 1920x1080/1200 monitor right? Even so, one 6870 is still enough to charge through that resolution. Anything less and Crossfire is a waste IMHO.

That PSU, IIRC, is just mediocre quality. I would get something like Corsair 750TX for $90 after MIR.

Ok sweet which RAM would you recommend? I have a 1920x1080 native which I game at. I was pretty much planning on building this to crossfire later when the 6870 significantly drops in price.

Lose the 8GB go to 4. Take that same amount of money and get a 1055T CPU and give yourself two extra cores OR buy a 6950 or 70.
The Antec 300, while still not made of good materials and rather flimsily constructed, is still better than the Rosewill IMO.

Last edited:
Lose the 8GB go to 4. Take that same amount of money and get a 1055T CPU and give yourself two extra cores OR buy a 6950 or 70.
The Antec 300, while still not made of good materials and rather flimsily constructed, is still better than the Rosewill IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't it better to have faster speed rather than more cores for gaming?

You should have a quad really at this point in time. As time goes on games will use more cores. Not to mention, you can overclock the quad/hex just the same.

Looks nice, thougha nother thing that might throttle overall performance is the HDD. Will that be your sole Drive? A green drive while good for storage is not, in my experience/opinion, optimal for OS.

I'd try to squeeze in a decent SSD for OS and Games, while 2TB will be side storage for games and applications.

Looks nice, thougha nother thing that might throttle overall performance is the HDD. Will that be your sole Drive? A green drive while good for storage is not, in my experience/opinion, optimal for OS.

I'd try to squeeze in a decent SSD for OS and Games, while 2TB will be side storage for games and applications.

Never knew what SSD was. just seem some reviews of SSD and thanks I'm definately picking one up. What size/brand would you recommend? I only really play L4D 1 and 2 andTeam Fortress 2

Last edited:
You should have a quad really at this point in time. As time goes on games will use more cores. Not to mention, you can overclock the quad/hex just the same.

That is actually semi false. The amd hexa cores can overclock a bit faster using lower volts with lower temps than the quad cores. Something to do with the architecture of the chips.

But when it comes down to it, yea they overclock to about the same speeds.

Never knew what SSD was. just seem some reviews of SSD and thanks I'm definately picking one up. What size/brand would you recommend? I only really play L4D 1 and 2 andTeam Fortress 2
OCZ Vertex 2

That is actually semi false. The amd hexa cores can overclock a bit faster using lower volts with lower temps than the quad cores. Something to do with the architecture of the chips.

But when it comes down to it, yea they overclock to about the same speeds.
Word. :thup:

Just meant they can overclock too. :)

Agreed on SSD (vertex 2 60gb works for me) and drop to 4gb memory, i got G.Skill rip jaws for 49.99 and it came with a cheap flash drive.

That case is seemingly weak, if you plan to OC alot, if not it'll do i guess.

I'd drop to a 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB will hold ALOT, then if need be add another later, unless you KNOW you're gonna be using all 2TB, a smaller faster WDCB will perform better for you. Remember your OS and a select few other programs will go on the SSD, unless you can afford a 120+ that means most games will go on your HDD, a slow WDCG HDD will be well, efficient, but slow...

Agreed on SSD (vertex 2 60gb works for me) and drop to 4gb memory, i got G.Skill rip jaws for 49.99 and it came with a cheap flash drive.

I'd drop to a 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB will hold ALOT, then if need be add another later, unless you KNOW you're gonna be using all 2TB, a smaller faster WDCB will perform better for you. Remember your OS and a select few other programs will go on the SSD, unless you can afford a 120+ that means most games will go on your HDD, a slow WDCG HDD will be well, efficient, but slow...

Ok I can suffice with like a 500gb Hard drive. what size SSD do I need to put Windows 7 and like 5 games?

I play those 2 games also, when a map changes in Tf2, 95% of the time I am the first person in the game and able to choose a team. For l4d2, same thing, I am the first person to be able to move around while others are still loading.

I also recommend the OCZ vertex 2. At least 90 gb.

I know Marshmellow reccomends a 90Gb, and he is a smart guy take his advice, i know i have learned alot from him

Buuuuuut: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0227550&cm_re=vertex_2-_-20-227-550-_-Product
60GB for 99 after rebates!!!!!!

99 bucks for a 60GB will hold W7 and maybe 1 or 2 games, keep in mind for the full speed of a SSD you cannot fill them up, IIRC try not to let them get past 60-80% capacity if possible.

I have the 60gb and i put W7, google chrome, and some smaller programs like GPUZ, CPUZ, and hardware monitor just cause i like to take a quick glance with those, for gaming i just cannot justify the SPACE needed for games, I have too many, if you are married to one game, then it may be worth finding room....

To go to 90gb will cost almost double at 189.00

Good in between option would be the 80GB which is 150 after rebates:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0227685&cm_re=vertex_2-_-20-227-685-_-Product
I still feel like 30% more space for 50% more cash is tough to swallow, but given your usage only you can decide whats worth it, where you will see it in game is when loading new maps/levels. And on boot times with W7.

Then go with this hard drive:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076939&CatId=2459

Or on new egg the same drive is 89, the 500gb caviar black is 59.99 on the egg so you may as well double your space for 30 bucks.

I went with the 60gb SSD and paid about 100 bucks and a 1TB caviar black 64mb cach and i feel like my system is VERY fast, rest of rig is in my sig.

Hope that helps!

Ok so how about the COOLER MASTER HAF 932
would that suffice for overclocking on air cooling?

I play those 2 games also, when a map changes in Tf2, 95% of the time I am the first person in the game and able to choose a team. For l4d2, same thing, I am the first person to be able to move around while others are still loading.

I also recommend the OCZ vertex 2. At least 90 gb.

do I really need a 90gb if I ONLY plan on putting windows 7 and those 3 games?

W7 depending on version will take almost 20GB of space. If you shrink your Page file and disable hibernation and system restore and delete its files, you can gain about 7GB back. Trim the install with Vlite and you can have a pretty slim W7 install under 10GB. As far as the space, go ahead and add it up and see how much space those games take up (Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime).

HAF 932 is an excellent case, i would argue a HAF 922 would do the job, or an antec Illusion, heard good things about those, earthdogs w7 tips are legit!

Back