• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

critique my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Haha, thanks for the props bigben =), but I have made my fair share of mistakes on these forums and I am not always right. So I am open to counter suggestions.

No, you do not need 90 gigs for win 7 and only those 3 games. My question is. Are you absolutely sure it will only be that. More often than not people will install other apps, microsoft office, photoshop, etc. And for sure more games in the future since you seem like a gamer.

3 games and OS will only take about 35-40 gigs from my rough estimate. 20 gigs of free space is cutting it close in my honest opinion. But it is really up to you in the end since you are the main user. I myself have only a 30 gig ssd in my netbook, but I have absolutely nothing else in there other than OS, few movies, and office.

HAF 932 is an excellent case, i would argue a HAF 922 would do the job, or an antec Illusion, heard good things about those, earthdogs w7 tips are legit!
going with the antec for price value

Haha, thanks for the props bigben =), but I have made my fair share of mistakes on these forums and I am not always right. So I am open to counter suggestions.

No, you do not need 90 gigs for win 7 and only those 3 games. My question is. Are you absolutely sure it will only be that. More often than not people will install other apps, microsoft office, photoshop, etc. And for sure more games in the future since you seem like a gamer.

3 games and OS will only take about 35-40 gigs from my rough estimate. 20 gigs of free space is cutting it close in my honest opinion. But it is really up to you in the end since you are the main user. I myself have only a 30 gig ssd in my netbook, but I have absolutely nothing else in there other than OS, few movies, and office.

I'm 100% positive I'll only be using those I mentioned on the SSD

Oh btw, my 60GB SSD with Win7 ult, overprovisioned to 55GB only has like 30GB of space left for apps. And that's with tons of things relocated to my 1TB drive. I have to say that a really fast 1TB drive is cheap ($70 - $100) and very worth it. My F3 is a beast.

I had 5GB free on my 60GB and it was running just fine a bit of a slowdown, but no more than when I had 10 or 20GB free to be honest. 20GB of freespace however is just wasting your money IMHO...

If I am perfectly honest, and I was doing it all again, I might be tempted by the 80GB SSD, even though i have 37.5GB of 55GB unused, it stresses me out that some huge program will accidentally load on there one day, a lil insurance might be worth it, again, your budget, your use so I nor marshmellow can decide for you.

I just installed things like office and games on my HDD, and they run fine, not as fast, but man i can be onto my desk top in a 24 count from poweroff comepletly, so its your call, the illusion is a good call i think, good stock fans, lots of fan options if or when heat becomes an issue, good options for cable manegment...

I install most things on my F3 and it's pretty much a monster. Honestly, I'd think you'd be happier by putting money into better parts elsewhere and getting a good 1TB driver. You can always get a SSD later on. The performance increase from better cooling with a good OC would IMHO beat out an SSD. Then again, I haven't not used an SSD in some time...

ok sweet, as far as capacity I know for sure I won't be exceeding 300gb at any given point. Which model you recommend for my storage HDD?

WD Caviar Blue's are great on a budget and out of the 4 or 5 I've used I've never had a problem. WD Caviar Black's perform a little better I believe. Hitachi and Samsung are good drives too though.

Edit: yay 1000th post xP

WD caviar black 500GB is 60 bucks, the SSD is not mandatory, in the end, once up and running and in game the SSD wont change alot, its when you have to load fomr the HDD that is rips, so in the middle of a gun fight in black ops a SSD will be a benifit, when loading a new level in WOW or D3, then it will be a big difference....

I got mine, its cool as hell, but YOU have to decide if you ill reap the benifits, in the end, you might be happier wit ha lil longer load times but a lot more GPU, and 100 bucks buys ALOT more GPU...

For storage you have 3 options (I know I am getting more technical than I really need to but what the hell =P )

1) WD black, pricey but fast read/writes, use it if you do tons of files transfers on a daily basis. Games on the black will also run fast. Think raptor speeds.
2) WD green, cheap and earth friendly. Use this one if you strickly plan on useing the drive only for storage and probably never touching or moving it. Movies and music come to mind.
3) WD blue, your in between drive of the green and black, this is the drive I will recommend.

Other makers have similar options.

For storage you have 3 options (I know I am getting more technical than I really need to but what the hell =P )

1) WD black, pricey but fast read/writes, use it if you do tons of files transfers on a daily basis. Games on the black will also run fast. Think raptor speeds.
2) WD green, cheap and earth friendly. Use this one if you strickly plan on useing the drive only for storage and probably never touching or moving it. Movies and music come to mind.
3) WD blue, your in between drive of the green and black, this is the drive I will recommend.

Other makers have similar options.

I appreciate your guys' help. Any final words of advice before I buy and put this together? any special tools or
cautions?

Hey guys new here but thought I would put something out there for the guy who was suggesting the 90 gb vs 60 gb vertex 2 drive. Instead of making it a choice of $200 for a 90gb or 100 for a 60gb why not get two 60's for the 200 for 120gb? If you got the space you get more drives and you can use the 2nd one for all your games and the first one for windows office and other non game applications. Then put all your data on a green 1tb or larger drive. I personally have a 60gb vertex 2 for booting and applications and I have a vertex original 60gb for games. Just my two cents.

Hey guys new here but thought I would put something out there for the guy who was suggesting the 90 gb vs 60 gb vertex 2 drive. Instead of making it a choice of $200 for a 90gb or 100 for a 60gb why not get two 60's for the 200 for 120gb? If you got the space you get more drives and you can use the 2nd one for all your games and the first one for windows office and other non game applications. Then put all your data on a green 1tb or larger drive. I personally have a 60gb vertex 2 for booting and applications and I have a vertex original 60gb for games. Just my two cents.

NO!

That makes entirely too much sense... go away with your sound logic and money saving schemes, we prefer to argue back and forth rather than find a win win situation or better solution....

6870 is a fool's purchase at this point. GTX 560 Ti smokes it.
-A person with 6870. Can't say I'm biased.

Yea I know, I made a post about the 6870 I got sent(was a non-reference board with artifacts) RMA in process.

I did order the MSI Twin Frozr GTX 560
I'm wondering if I shoulda gone with the Gigabyte superoverclocked instead though :(

Back