• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critique my FreeNAS storage build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Logiwonk

Hey guys,
Loved the tech info at this site for ages, but first time posting. I'm building a freeNAS storage box for my home (use 3 compys on a regular basis so it makes sense now, especially to send movies to my HTPC). Here's the build I was planning:

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Rosewill RNX-N300 IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless-N 2.0 PCI (1T2R) Up to 300Mbps download and 150 Mbps upload Data Rates/ WPA/WPA2 ...

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ...

Kingston Elite Pro 4GB Compact Flash (CF) Flash Card Model CF/4GB-S2

Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor

SYBA SD-CF-IDE-DI IDE to Compact Flash Adapter ( Direct Insertion Mode )

The CF card + adapter is for running the FreeNAS OS. I was generally focused on making something power efficient and cheap to build. I have a lot of experience with ASUS mobos so I decided to stick with what I know there. Also, WD has stood me in good stead and the drives are on sale at Newegg.

dollars vs headaches... I'd just go buy a Drobo. I was in the same boat a couple of years back. it's probably about the same amount of money, but it's very much a "set it and forget it" solution. I haven't had to even think about it since it was installed. 350Watts vs 17Watts on your power bill is also something to think about. I really can't say enough good things about Drobo. Works with windows, linux loves it... can't comment about apple... apple is dead to me.

Back