• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critique my new build... Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Setsukos

Registered
I ordered this stuff last night from NewEgg.. total cost after savings, rebates, promo codes = $495

This will be my first time building a computer, I'm pretty excited!

Last edited:
i've got that board and used it for my first build as well. it works great for me so far.

definitely beware the psu in that case. all the reviews i read of the one in my raidmax sagitta case were great. it popped on me after about 10 seconds though. you won't need anything super high end but don't cheap out in this area. good stable power is really important.

MY raidmax psu has worked great for about 3 years now. I have no complaints, maybe I got a good one?

jblunck54 said:
MY raidmax psu has worked great for about 3 years now. I have no complaints, maybe I got a good one?

We'll there are a lot of parts to a PSU. Some brands build PSU's better then others. It's all about risk vs reward. Your gonna pay a bit more for a PSU that is well made and will have little to no risk on your hardwares life from a power point of view. A cheaper, crappier made PSU dosen't mean it won't work. It's a matter of how stable is it? 3 years on a Raidmax PSU sounds like a good one to me. Problem is, if someone drops $1500.00 into a new system, why even risk it? Because you shaved a few dollars on a crappy PSU?

PrometheuSBoxeR said:
We'll there are a lot of parts to a PSU. Some brands build PSU's better then others. It's all about risk vs reward. Your gonna pay a bit more for a PSU that is well made and will have little to no risk on your hardwares life from a power point of view. A cheaper, crappier made PSU dosen't mean it won't work. It's a matter of how stable is it? 3 years on a Raidmax PSU sounds like a good one to me. Problem is, if someone drops $1500.00 into a new system, why even risk it? Because you shaved a few dollars on a crappy PSU?

I couldnt agree more. That is why Im basicly going with your setup on my new build, Im still on an Old AGP VPU and Im looking to get on pci-x as well as going from an old northwood to the C2D

Can't go wrong with Seasonic or Corsair supplies :thup: I used Antec supplies for quite a while and haven't had any issues either.

~ Gos

I ended up going with the Thermaltake Purepower 500w supply which cost me $35 after rebates :clap:

The customer reviews on it were good and it was the only listed Thermaltake on that PSU review thread.

Back