• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire HD 7870's vs Card Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

Hello, i was wondering if im better off running 2 compatible HD 7870's or upgrade to a more powerful card (I.e. 7970/7990/R9 series)

Attached is picture of build; size constraints also limit what i can do since im working w/ a midtower

Attachments

• Wire Fix.png
    Wire Fix.png
    511 KB · Views: 2,381
I'd just get a better card. 270x/280x

side note: Thing looks like its sprouting wires from nowhere ><

Running 8 fans so its hard to keep all the wiring under control, was much worse earlier.
And alright, thank you :), would you recommend reference or a company version?

Running 8 fans so its hard to keep all the wiring under control, was much worse earlier.
And alright, thank you :), would you recommend reference or a company version?

Personally? MSI, HIS, or ASUS in no particular order. This is all of course assuming you want to stay with AMD.

Best bet is to look around for a decent roundup review and find the one that fits your needs.

I'm actually having this delima myself but the asus DC CUII's are out of stock to match my other 7870 right now. I personally want an R280x but the problem is that all the coin miners bought them all up and the price jumped by over a $100, not paying $100+ extra because the etailers decide to price gouge.

Either going to get another 7870, get a Nvidia 770 since its cheaper right now than a 280x or wait till things go south for the bitcoin miners and buy a cheap used R280x from the classifieds.

sorry shouldnt type when I was this tired I messed up the lineage

On the topic of xfire while it'll be better for now looking at your cramped case I cant help but wonder if you'll run into heat issues.

Last edited:
280x=7870 270x=7850 so no big change there. If your looking for better card it'll have to be a 290 or 290x 290=7970 while the 290x is latest.

On the topic of xfire while it'll be better for now looking at your cramped case I cant help but wonder if you'll run into heat issues.

From every review I've read, the 280x is a 7970, AMD did one of those weird numbers think again like they did with the 6 series.

The 280X is a 7970... Not sure where you got your info. The 270x is a rebranded 7870 ghz.

Either way I always suggest a single card upgrade. Grab a 290 with one of the new custom coolers and be done with it IMO. Solid upgrade. Just make sure it's not a reference design lol

I might be selling my 7970 in the next few weeks.. That is if I pick up at least one overtime to buy a 780ti and use the money from the 7970 to cover the cost of a custom loop. If I do sell it I will not let it go to mining because they have screwed the market big time. Also if I do sell it I am looking for about $250'ish. So, if in the next two weeks I do decide to sell it I will send you a PM if you are interested.

I have 7870 ghz edition's in crossfire and they will generally beat a 290x in benchmarks but are proving to be a bit of a pain with driver issues and some games do not support crossfire so when playing those titles you will have to disable one of the cards. I plan on going with a single 290x when the market stabilizes from all the mining craze.

If it was me I'd go for single card solution. I wouldn't bother with xfire with my current 7870. Driver issues for xfire along with games not scaling well convinced me to just stick with the single card.

Thanks for all the advice gents, im actually within a month period of having purchased my card so lets see if i can work any magic

If you can afford a single card in the 350-400 dollar range upgrade to single card. I upgraded from a 7870 to a 7970(280x) and I am astounded at how much more powerful this card is than my old 7870. That being said a 7870 crossfired with a 270x would give you more performance than a single 280x.

Xfire does have it's problems, more so in the past than currently. I recently Crossfire's my girlfriends 280x with my 7970 and had minor issues. I'm still planning on crossfire in the future. I feel some claims are exaggerated...

The 280X is a 7970... Not sure where you got your info. The 270x is a rebranded 7870 ghz.

Either way I always suggest a single card upgrade. Grab a 290 with one of the new custom coolers and be done with it IMO. Solid upgrade. Just make sure it's not a reference design lol

Don't know what's all the fuzz around the ref design: one of my 290's is unlocked to a 290x. It runs perfectly@1175/1500/+150mV, and temp never goes above 85°C/80% fan, with a 24°C ambient.

@90°C, the fan runs@around 70%.
@stock clocks, it sqtays around 30/40% on load with 80°C max.

Don't know what's all the fuzz around the ref design: one of my 290's is unlocked to a 290x. It runs perfectly@1175/1500/+150mV, and temp never goes above 85°C/80% fan, with a 24°C ambient.

@90°C, the fan runs@around 70%.
@stock clocks, it sqtays around 30/40% on load with 80°C max.

The noise :D

So much input cant handles :'( lol. So ill head to my nearby store and check if I can trade my card for anything in the gtx 700 series/ATI 7970/R9 280+

edit: agree about the noise, kinda unhappy with xfx because the damb double D cooler sounds like a tiny buzz saw past 2400 rpm (50%)

Back