• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CrossfireX or SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Diablo III64 2018-04-16 21-31-00-58.jpg

Diablo III64 2018-04-16 21-32-03-86.jpg

Diablo III64 2018-04-16 21-32-23-85.jpg

homeworld 2018-04-18 20-09-22-82.jpg

homeworld 2018-04-18 20-10-12-06.jpg

I am posting some screen shots of what this HD5780 card is doing it is steady not jerky or slow very smooth.
I was going through my games and seen this old one I really like. Home world, Now Crysis wont play nor will crysis warhead, Yet here is Home world a really really OLD game yet it is working just fine I would venture to say excellent. The settings are as high as I can get them to. I am amazed I hope home world cat and home world 2 play as well I will see shortly. OMG so far home world cataclysm is working too! Same FPS rate too! Settings are as high as they go. I will have to write them down for you I can't remember all that stuff.

Last edited:
Its a 4 year old expansion pack for a game that came out 6 years ago. I dont imagine many are surprised the 5870 can do that...especially with D3 that doesnt take a lot of horsepower anyway. What is your point here? Are you trying to convince yourself you dont need new cards or...??

LOL no I am proving just how pathetic this card is. And I also think it is hamstringing the CPU. Yeah really OLD games but still the games I play. I don't have anything new so there!
For the LOVE OF ... I just spent a ton on 2 systems and still want to get them tightened up. before I run out an spend more on games that in 2 months will be Obsolete BTT the next gen CPU line / GPU line come out.
DIII was in development for what like 6 years before it finally made it to the market and by that time the game it's self was obsolete and the systems it was made on were as well!

LOL no I am proving just how pathetic this card is. And I also think it is hamstringing the CPU. Yeah really OLD games but still the games I play. I don't have anything new so there!
By using an ancient game with a FPS lock of 60? Ok........

The GPU isn't 'hamstringing' anything. The CPU can drive that GPU fine (though a better CPU will give more FPS).

Really then, I don't see a point in upgrading if its playing your old games just fine already. And, in that case, Get a 1050 Ti and call it a day. To go SLI/CFx for the games you play is silly (to me). I mean good on you if you want to play, but... you game at 1080p 60 Hz... so.......... why bother with the hassle?????? You a glutton for punishment? :p

EDIT:
For the LOVE OF ... I just spent a ton on 2 systems and still want to get them tightened up. before I run out an spend more on games that in 2 months will be Obsolete BTT the next gen CPU line / GPU line come out.
DIII was in development for what like 6 years before it finally made it to the market and by that time the game it's self was obsolete and the systems it was made on were as well!
So then, get the best single card you can afford is everyone's advice. I really don't think SLI/CFx is for you for a plethora of reasons.

Last edited:
Ok I know my games are old, But I do plan on getting new games soon I want to get the latest games I just want a system that can run the new DX12 games and newer without fail. I can't be running a DX12 games on a DX11 card WTH good is that?
I am not going to run out spend 200 bucks on games (50+ each a game) only to bring them home and find out that the DX11 card cant nor wont play at a FPS that is reasonable or that wont play it at all.
That said I want to get my systems maxed out. The MSI 970 MB I have is maxed out I have the fastest RAM and CPU that (YOU all here said to get and I DID) now I have the ability to SLI / Crossfire this MB and that is what I want to do Just want to make it so this system can take my into the next few years without having to buy something new every time I want a new game.
The very reason I built the NEW computer Ryzen3 was for that very reason. Or I could have just kept the Q9650 and ran that till I died!

Ok I know my games are old, But I do plan on getting new games soon I want to get the latest games I just want a system that can run the new DX12 games and newer without fail. I can't be running a DX12 games on a DX11 card WTH good is that?
See edit above.....go get yourself 2 GTX 1060's 6GB and let's wrap this excersise up. :)

EDIT: JC your editing... I reply to one thing, and minutes later there are two more paragraphs.... :sly:

I am not going to run out spend 200 bucks on games (50+ each a game) only to bring them home and find out that the DX11 card cant nor wont play at a FPS that is reasonable or that wont play it at all.
That said I want to get my systems maxed out. The MSI 970 MB I have is maxed out I have the fastest RAM and CPU that (YOU all here said to get and I DID) now I have the ability to SLI / Crossfire this MB and that is what I want to do Just want to make it so this system can take my into the next few years without having to buy something new every time I want a new game.
The very reason I built the NEW computer Ryzen3 was for that very reason. Or I could have just kept the Q9650 and ran that till I died!
DX plays DX12 titles without issue. Just some DX12 features may be missing. And trust me, there aren't many. That said, I hear you. But I still don't know why you are looking at old arse mutiple cards over a single (that is, with logic in mind).

Maybe go find 4x GTX 970s and SLI those on each system if you insist on multi GPU? What power supplies are these two systems using (brand/model/wattage)?

Last edited:
See edit above.....go get yourself 2 GTX 1060's 6GB and let's wrap this excersise up. :)

EDIT: JC your editing... I reply to one thing, and minutes later there are two more paragraphs.... :sly:

DX plays DX12 titles without issue. Just some DX12 features may be missing. And trust me, there aren't many. That said, I hear you. But I still don't know why you are looking at old arse mutiple cards over a single (that is, with logic in mind).

Maybe go find 4x GTX 970s and SLI those on each system if you insist on multi GPU? What power supplies are these two systems using (brand/model/wattage)?

First yes but DX12 is the new standard and as I plan to upgrade my game library to the latest and greatest I want them "features" for future games too.

The reason is the cost 4 cards of the top of the line would run me almost 10k WTF would anyone spend that much cash on a video card for anyway?
The whole idea of getting 2 (or more) cards is so that you can get 2 cheep cards and get top of the line card performance for 1/3 the price. Or that seems to be the case with the fact that 2 card slots are on my gaming boards. Or to get 2 ( or more ) top of the line cards and have a system that rocks! Or am I wrong?
Isn't this an enthusiast forum?
My goal is to get the absolute MOST from my systems for the absolute lowest amount of money. Isn't that the whole idea of this? I do not want JUST one card ***K I know I can get ONE and it will do the job but I do not want nor care to spend 600+ for it! When it should be feasible to do it and then some with 2 cheaper cards! OH and soon I will be upgrading from 1080p to 4K as this is the new standard!
I have been 10 years behind before I want to be prepared again. Sorry for all the edits I have lots on my mind.

I didn't say get 4 of the top of the line cards. Ever. I said get TWO $350 cards, one for each rig.

The whole idea of getting 2 (or more) cards is so that you can get 2 cheep cards and get top of the line card performance for 1/3 the price. Or that seems to be the case with the fact that 2 card slots are on my gaming boards. Or to get 2 ( or more ) top of the line cards and have a system that rocks! Or am I wrong?
Isn't this an enthusiast forum?
That is AN idea of SLI/CF yes, perhaps not THE idea though. Again, scaling is inconsistent 0%-95% with an average somewhere around 50-75%.

THis is an enthusiast forum. We know the potential pitfalls of the setups and why we are steering you towards a single card.

You aren't going to find two cards for $350 that will beat a $600 card.

When it should be feasible to do it and then some with 2 cheaper cards! OH and soon I will be upgrading from 1080p to 4K as this is the new standard!
Jesus man, no it isn't. Nowhere close..and it won't be for years (too expensive too expensive of hardware to support it for gaming). I just quoted Steam stats for you...70%+ people rock 1080p and 3% 2560x1440. Less than 1% use 4K UHD. Not to mention, neither two cheap cards for $350 nor a single card for $350 will play games well at that 4K UHD res. Perhaps your old games, but you said you want new DX12 as well. You also really need to worry about VRAM at UHD resolution as well. And two cheap cards with 4GB (or less) of VRAM won't cut it at 4K.

The bottom line is that you don't have enough money to support 4K now.

As far as SLI/CF, if you insist, there were a couple of suggestions already. None will meet your eventual goals though with your current budget.

EDIT: I'll ask again............. what PSUs are powering your two PCs you plan to have multiple GPUs in??????????

Last edited:
Surely 4 slots of PCIe x16 is better than 2.

Of course more is better. How are you going to effectively fold on multiple GPUs if you don't have a place to put them in? :p

EDIT: Since OP clearly still misunderstands what CF/SLI are good for despite this whole thread, and latched onto folding to claim a need for CF/SLI, I feel obligated to note that folding does not use CF/SLI, for blatantly obvious math reasons. 2*1.0 from independent GPUs is always going to be better than 1+0.5 from CF/SLI.

Last edited:
Of course more is better. How are you going to effectively fold on multiple GPUs if you don't have a place to put them in? :p

Exactly! I have been thinking I should use this FX system to fold on. Been really considering it but not with one video card.
I was told that more is better for folding.

And one is better than none. ;)

Did you ever answer the psu question yet (no...)? Just make sure you have one that has enough power for your systems.

If you are planning on buying a 4K monitor sometime soon to play the latest games, do note that even 1080/1080ti still struggle with high settings at that resolution. You would be much better off considering 2560x1440 like ED suggested. A 1070 can run at that res (my 1080 does very well at that resolution). A 1060 should do OK I suppose but you will have to check benchmarks. 4K is out of the question.

Back