• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crosshair 4 or GA-890FXA-UD7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustyfender

i cant decide between the crosshair 4 and the gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7

i am water cooling both cpu and gpu atm and would like to cool mobo if i can but not a big deal if i cant

i am leaning towards the asus cause it is more tweekable and i much prefer their bios.

If you're going to go Gigabyte, don't get the UD7. I don't know if you know, but the UD7 is E-ATX and won't fit into most cases. The UD5 is regular ATX, but still packs all the punch of the UD7. In my opinion, it would be the UD5.

crosshair IV is the best AMD overclocking board there is. well at least says "Custom PC."

Whenever the question is "Asus" vs. "Brand X", I usually go ASUS. I have the Crosshair III and even now it kicks ***. I almost got the Crosshair IV but III was clearanced and I'm not going to be going with 4 5750's any time soon, I'm just not THAT enthusiast. Although I'm missing out on USB 3.0, which ASUS IV does have, plus some other features.

But I'm biased.

As far as MB's and GPU's go. I always look at customer service. I know Asus has great CC.

GLTY

yes we all are biased thats where there are separate forums for intel and amd.... but the warrenty on the crosshair gives you cross shipping when they give you an RMA they ship you a new one as soon as you ship yours back to them.

crosshair IV is the best AMD overclocking board there is. well at least says "Custom PC."

Pretty bold statement right there. It is one of the best, but not THE best, not right now. :D

Last edited:
thats a pretty bold rebuttal for a biased.... lol c'mon now we all now that it has more to do with the chip we are over clocking than the motherboard when we are talking about components that are of the highest quality. im sure you'll be happy with ither mobo.

thats a pretty bold rebuttal for a biased.... lol c'mon now we all now that it has more to do with the chip we are over clocking than the motherboard when we are talking about components that are of the highest quality. im sure you'll be happy with ither mobo.

Hey some one has to have some Biostar love around here, lol! I'm living in Asus-land, lol! ;)

LMAO true that though i guess im part of the club now... actually these are the first asus products iv had since i had my 6000+ x2 good times... good times...

LMAO true that though i guess im part of the club now... actually these are the first asus products iv had since i had my 6000+ x2 good times... good times...

Last Asus board I had was a 775 Striker...I still haven't forgiven them for that POS. Probably a bit unfair, lol. Now I'm just too cheap to buy them. :-/

yea this is going to be my build for a while thats why i spent the money on it now that and im thinking about building a custom case to fit a radiator from a V6 truck to water cool it... but that too will cost money.

just looked at hwbot and 790fx still is the best amd board for overclocking.
i dont think they have gotten the new 890fx just right yet
but still id get the Gigabyte ud5.
just because asus has ticked me off with there mid ranged boards.(not too happy with mine)

Hey some one has to have some Biostar love around here, lol! I'm living in Asus-land, lol! ;)

Just because you like you biostar mb doesnt mean other ppl will You have BE chip and i have heard more and a few reports that getting the reference clock doesnt go near as high as the Asus IV

Just because you like you biostar mb doesnt mean other ppl will You have BE chip and i have heard more and a few reports that getting the reference clock doesnt go near as high as the Asus IV

My post was in response to another post stating it's the best AMD motherboard, I was being smart. That said, the term best in my mind means fastest clock and right now on the AM3 platform that isn't Asus. Next week, very well could be. :D

And your right, and I am one of the people who has steered people on this forum away from this board if the plan on reference clocking. Mine gets flaky around 260, highest I have seen is 290.

It was a comment made in good fun.

Good to know how high it can get . for ppl that dont have/getting a non BE chip

Sno had a MSI mb he said he got to 370 ( I think ) .
I am hoping to do a AMD build in the next 2 months and ref clock will be the winning factor for me as I will prob getting the 1055t

just looked at hwbot and 790fx still is the best amd board for overclocking.
i dont think they have gotten the new 890fx just right yet
but still id get the Gigabyte ud5.
just because asus has ticked me off with there mid ranged boards.(not too happy with mine)

HWbot 890fx CPUz results

CPU-Z - 7125.42 mhz - NAMEGT (XtremeSystems) - (AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @7125.4MHz)
37.4 points (6)
CPU-Z - 7028.84 mhz - NAMEGT (XtremeSystems) - (AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE @7028.8MHz)
12.6 points (1)
CPU-Z - 6831.27 mhz - NAMEGT (XtremeSystems) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE @6831.3MHz)
7.7 points (1)
CPU-Z - 6750.27 mhz - NAMEGT (XtremeSystems) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE @6750.3MHz)
no points
CPU-Z - 6670.54 mhz - PcCI2iminal & Yoko (XtremeSystems) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE @6670.5MHz)
7.1 points
CPU-Z - 6670.48 mhz - Hutri Samani_Sandlewood (hyemOCteam) - (AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @6670.5MHz)
no points
CPU-Z - 6375.08 mhz - Blak_Hawk (Overclock.net) - (AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @6375.1MHz)
1.6 + 14.7 points
CPU-Z - 6300.25 mhz - Blak_Hawk (Overclock.net) - (AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @6300.2MHz)
no points
CPU-Z - 6250 mhz - El Gappo (Bench Tec UK) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE @6250MHz)
2.3 points
CPU-Z - 5400 mhz - El Gappo (Bench Tec UK) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE @5400MHz)
no points
CPU-Z - 5100.11 mhz - Blak_Hawk (Overclock.net) - (AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @5100.1MHz)
no points
CPU-Z - 5000 mhz - Shrekogre (no team) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE @5000MHz)
0.1 points
CPU-Z - 4060 mhz - PROBN4LYFE (Overclock.net) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @4060MHz)
0.1 points
CPU-Z - 4050.29 mhz - |splat| (OC Forums) - (AMD Athlon II X4 640 @4050.3MHz)
1.5 points
CPU-Z - 4032 mhz - PROBN4LYFE (Overclock.net) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @4032MHz)
no points
CPU-Z - 3850 mhz - PROBN4LYFE (Overclock.net) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3850MHz)
no points
CPU-Z - 3705 mhz - PROBN4LYFE (Overclock.net) - (AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3705MHz)

Good to know how high it can get . for ppl that dont have/getting a non BE chip

Sno had a MSI mb he said he got to 370 ( I think ) .
I am hoping to do a AMD build in the next 2 months and ref clock will be the winning factor for me as I will prob getting the 1055t

Yea, the ta890fxe sucks for reference clock right now (could be a ram thing in my case)...we are due for a BIOS update soon though, hope it changes.

Back