• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair V problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arbiter Odie

Hello again. After my Asrock 970 died, I decided to get a high-end motherboard. The Crosshair V seemed to be a good choice...

I plugged everything in correctly, connected my hard-drive, tried to boot up... and was faced with this message:

Asmedia 106X SATA Controller Ver 0.93 AHCI Mode
Copyright (C) Asmedia Technologies, Inc. All Right reserved.
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen2
Can't find any device

After waiting a few seconds, it reverts to the rog-logo screen, and then a different message screen appears:

American Megatrends

AMIBIOS(C)2011 American Megatrends, Inc.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula ACPI BIOS Revision 0404
CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) 140 processor
Speed: 2732MHz

Total Memory: 8192MB (DDR3-1600)

USB Deviced total: 0 Drive, 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse, 0 Hub

Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices...
SATA Port1: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Z
SATA Port2: OCZ-VERTEX2

Please enter setup to recover BIOS settings,
Press F1 to Run SETUP

I tried google, but I can't find any useful information. I just got this board today, and was really looking forward to it. What am I doing wrong!?!?!
:bang head

Thank you.

Just a shot in the dark but did you plug in the extra 4 pin over by the ram moduals? There is the 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin motherboard cables to plug in.

Um... No. I don't have enough cables... I only have two 4 pin connecters, which combine into a 8 pin.

The manual implied that this was optional...

Update:

I've managed to boot by accessing the bios and choosing the boot overide setting. This, however, is not very efficient. It's still driving me crazy.

Given that I managed to get this silly contraption functioning to this point, should I try a bios update? Might that help solve the problem?

Also, I just double checked the manual. It says I can use either the 8 pin connector, half of the 8 pin connector (so 4 pins), or the 4 pin connector near the ram. They appear to be interchangable.

yes just as I said a shot in the dark ..... I am sure someone else may have a better thought. I thought the same too optional if you were running crossfire but since I had the extra cables I hooked it up. I'm too tired to think ..... on the road 12 hours today and another 4 working on floors here at home. it's bedtime.

Thank you for finding that bassnut. It seems I'm not alone, and maybe the ASUS tech was wrong after all.

And now that I mention tech support...

I got to listen to a recorded voice telling me about laptop warrenties, and quality components, and retailer advanteges, and other worthless stuff. After five minutes of this torture, a person answered the phone. He was nice, and walked me through the obvious stuff: change achi to ide mode, change the ports around, clear cmos, etc...

An hour later things still didn't work. He upgraded me to level 2 tech support.
They disconnect me after I waited patiently for 20 minutes while listening to the recorded voice telling me how wonderful ASUS is.
I call back... no answer.

I try a different phone line (different phone number)... they answer, and tell me that they are busy and will call me back within the day.
I wait two hours. Nobody calls me.
I called again, and somebody actually picked up the phone. He just wanted me to rma the board, but I wanted to talk to level 2 support.

I waited for about 10 minutes, listening to that horrible recorded voice. Again.

Somebody picked up. This new guy was... not very nice. He told me that I had been confused by the other people who had tried to help me (huh?)
He had me update the bios (not an easy task).
Nope, that didn't work. I had to re-re-explain to him that I was able to use boot override.
He told me to install windows 7 and call back. After telling me that he would personally recommend a 850 watt psu for the board. Why? He said "for future upgradeability".

Thanks dude. I've already thought about that.
5 minutes later, I was done (I love my vertex 2 :))

I called their support again, and someone (a woman this time) picked up the phone. She told me that level 2 support was closed. I explained that they had told me to call back about 5 minutes ago. Finally she patched me through to the evil recorded voice and aggravating music.

Somebody answered the phone. Would they be able to assist me? :popcorn:

He asked me all the same questions the other three people had asked me. In broken English.
He painfully walked me through a series of useless steps (changing the boot order, prioritizing my dvd drive first, with my vertex 2 second), and finally had me disable "wait for f1 if error".

I restarted. The setting had reverted to its previous state.
He informed me that I had a short either in the motherboard or my psu.
He then had me read off the amp ratings of my poor power supply... and informed me that they were insufficient to run the board.
He told my that the 3.3 volt connector required an amp rating of 28-32 amps, and that the 5 volt connector required the same!
He said my 12 volt was fine, as was the other listed rating.

Bottom line: get a 650 watt power supply. Huh? None of those have the required amp ratings. And speaking of which...

Seriously? 28-32 amps!?!?! Where am I supposed to get that??? And furthermore, how the heck can this motherboard need so much power? I only have a sempron installed! And a gt 430!! And a ssd!!!

Can this really be right? I only see 2 or 3 psu's on the market with those ratings... and they all cost an arm, a leg, a kidney + even more.

Help.

Last edited:
3.3v and 5v - 24 amp ...... wow. Of the 2 powersupplys I have here :

1: Cooler Master Silent Pro 850 - 22 amp
2: Enermax Revolution 920W - 24 amp

So technically I shouldn't be able to use this board? I doubt that.
I read through a bunch of the posts on that thread I sent you they jump around allot without helping people very much. I was up to page 77 of 152 the person was still having isssues at that point. One other guy had similar issues and chased it down to the ram he was ussing ...... G Skill Sniper ram he didn't give specs? I have used GSKILL Flares (1800 7 8 7 24) and Mushkin Blackline (2000 7 10 8 27) and both worked though the muskin din't like OC'ing. I don't know what to tell you from here read some more of those posts if you have time and I will think while at work today. If you have the time do a hard reset with your bios .... remove the battery on the motherboard as well and reset. Right now that is all I can think of.

Hopefully someone else can come up with something.

Granted, I only have a 550 watt psu. But it's a good one. It's listed in my sig.

And the guy said 28-32 amp, not 24. :p

Thank you for showing me that link. I've been browsing through it, and I'm starting to think I have a defective board, ASUS's tech support's claims not-withstanding.

Can a sata controller be defective?

Edit: I'm 90% asleep right now (my fault), so I just now noticed what you said about the hard reset. Do you mean just removing the battery? Or something else in addition?

Last edited:
Hai .........
I use a CrossHair formulaV ......... go to boot and interrupt 19 it is by default enabled just disable it .... and also change the option ROM message from force bios to keep current ....

Granted, I only have a 550 watt psu. But it's a good one. It's listed in my sig.

When I first began setting up mine, I had a coolermaster 550w and it was just fine until my current PS arrived and was swapped in.

And the guy said 28-32 amp, not 24. :p

The dude is nuts.

...and I'm starting to think I have a defective board, ASUS's tech support's claims not-withstanding.

I think you have a bad BIOS chip or a bad board. Check THIS out.

Can a sata controller be defective?

Sure, but that's not likely causing your problems. I saw in post #1 that your ASmedia isn't detecting anything. Do you have anything plugged into it? There are 6 ports for the main (non ASmedia) SATA and then there's the extras on the ASmedia. If nothing is plugged into it, there's nothing to detect.

Edit: I'm 90% asleep right now (my fault), so I just now noticed what you said about the hard reset. Do you mean just removing the battery? Or something else in addition?

He probably meant that you should remove the battery and while the battery is removed you should also reset the CMOS before replacing the battery. Which is exactly what I would suggest. Remove the AC power plug from your power supply (the one that goes to the mains at the wall), take out the battery, reset the CMOS for 30 full seconds, replace the battery, plug the AC back into the power supply, power up and go directly into your BIOS, put all the settings the way you want them, save BIOS, then reboot. See if your error comes back and if it halts during POST.

OK, the first " can't find any devices" message, Vic Velcro is correct as to the reason you are getting the message. Now to get rid of the message I can help with that. :)
Go into the bios, click on the advanced tab along the top, go down to the "onboard devices config" and open that. I believe it's the second entry "ASM1061 Storage OPROM"
disable that, save and exit and you'll find the entry is gone ! :)

Back