• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair V vs Crosshair V-Z unlocking cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thanks

Thanks for reminding me Dr.

Oh yeah, I was sure the chips were supported but it may take a BIOS update for them to work as in once you take the board out of the box new. The board you get may have sat on a shelf in a warehouse for sometime and "Missed" the latest BIOS update.

@ Erixx: No prob to do with a regular AM3/AM3+ chip.

If the board works with your 9xxx series chip, you won't have to do any of the following but if not, here's what you do to get that sorted out.

First place a regular AM3 or AM3+ chip into the board, any chip for those sockets will do, even a Sempron.
Then download the newest BIOS file onto a USB flashdrive, then do the update with the utility in the board's BIOS. Next, confirm the board took the flash by letting it reboot once, then shut it down and turn off the powersupply with it's switch located on the back of the unit or simply unplug the PC itself from the electrical outlet. Next, remove the "Old" chip and set the new chip in with the heatsink/fan you want to use and be sure to use a good quality TIM or thermal grease with it (TIM and thermal grease are the same exact thing) - That's all there should be to it.

After you do all of that, turn the powersupply back on/plug the PC's cord back into the outlet, start the system, configure things like you want in the BIOS, save your settings and enjoy your new chip from there.

I know those I know with Sabertooth 990FX enjoy them. Sure you can get a doggie board but most do not. Asus has just about sorted the R2.0 board for the FX processors by now as I hear it.
RGone...

That could be the case with the 9xxx chips.
Updating the BIOS if you are having a problem isn't a bad idea but then again possibly not required.
I'll have to ask him if that's the case with his or not or maybe he'll chime in here.

Speaking of boards, I need to try out the Saber I got last week to see how well it does with my FX chips. I'm hoping it does well enough for me and maybe it will.

I'm hoping this one is good since I bought it as an open box item but from what I can tell it's OK. Still haven't tried to push it hard yet but all else appears to work at least.

Hey Doc, I am pretty sure "johan45" is using his 9370 on his Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with a very early bios and no mention of any bios flash to make to work.

When I actually checked supported Cpus for the CHV-z and the 9370 and 9590 were shown, there was no specific bios listed to be flashed to make it work. I know the Asrock 990FX EXT9 is recommended for the 9370 and the 9590 and even it does not show to need bios update.

I run a very early Bulldozer bios for my FX8350 on CHV because it seems to be easier to overclock. So I am just about convinced there is no special bios requirement for FX-9xxx.
RGone...

That could be the case with the 9xxx chips.
Updating the BIOS if you are having a problem isn't a bad idea but then again possibly not required.
I'll have to ask him if that's the case with his or not or maybe he'll chime in here.

Speaking of boards, I need to try out the Saber I got last week to see how well it does with my FX chips. I'm hoping it does well enough for me and maybe it will.

You are absolutely right RGone. I'm running ver. 803 on my board at presten and it works just fine.
@ Bonsey the Saber R2 will take on any of the FX CPU's to date. Any of the benching I have done has all been with the Sabertooth.R2 and I have run the 6350,8350 and 9370 on it. I really, really, really like this board.

everybody look..........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113351

I had it for 1 day in a CH4 Extreme, did not default at 4.7 on the 2nd boot.
3027 bios which 8350 works, I know I had a crosshairIV extreme board way out dated.

I just rma'd this to newegg, im getting a brand new one, with a 2 year accident warranty I don't want it, I have a very good 8350 I should have not bought this but had the urge to get it......
$389. with water cooler and 2 games
$ 60. 2 year warranty no questions asked I never registered.

just give me 299. im happy at least I can get new CH5-z board its that simple
818.381.3674 cell

Last edited:
That's a bummer man. Toobad. Do you at least give it a go? Will it boot into windows. The default stuff isn't that important.

I'm running a 8320 with the Saber ATM.

I tried running it kinda hard this morning after the CHV-Z was acting cranky so I placed the chip into the Saber and it acted the same way with it. I'm just hoping it was one of those "Bad" sessions we all have from time to time when absolutely nothing works (Or seems to). Even downcoring it to just two cores didn't solve the problem but I can say it doesn't want to clock up my RAM like my smaller chips do.
Of course I'll keep trying. :rolleyes:

I'm running a 8320 with the Saber ATM.

I tried running it kinda hard this morning after the CHV-Z was acting cranky so I placed the chip into the Saber and it acted the same way with it. I'm just hoping it was one of those "Bad" sessions we all have from time to time when absolutely nothing works (Or seems to). Even downcoring it to just two cores didn't solve the problem but I can say it doesn't want to clock up my RAM like my smaller chips do.
Of course I'll keep trying. :rolleyes:

What BIOS are you using?? We have noticed that some of the newer ones don't "seem" to set things quite right especially where the ram is concerned.

I've only used the board a couple of times since I've had it - I'll check that and see what version is has. Probrably not the latest but maybe close to it. Same is probrably true with my CHV-Z. I know the BIOS in my older CHV has been updated and did that 2 weeks ago when I got the 8320 and tried it in that one.

Back