• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix Stability -- This doesn't make any sense

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What batch number are your Ballistix? The original 503's had the infamous 5B chips that burnt up fairly quickly, the newer batches have the 5D's in them

*edit* I just seen that you had found out your chipset was overheating... That could be a concern, definitely. The nForce4 chips are quite warm, for sure. I think :cry: thats what finally did my DFI in... chipset overheating :cry:

Last edited:
SuperDave1685 said:
What batch number are your Ballistix? The original 503's had the infamous 5B chips that burnt up fairly quickly, the newer batches have the 5D's in them

*edit* I just seen that you had found out your chipset was overheating... That could be a concern, definitely. The nForce4 chips are quite warm, for sure. I think :cry: thats what finally did my DFI in... chipset overheating :cry:

Dave,

Then you sorted out the Stop Errors on your rig? I hadn't seen a final conclusion on your series of posts.

LOL... I wish I have man... I've gone through 2 motherboards, one of which has apparently died already :bang head:.... I can get windows installed, but it blue screens still during the install... grrr..Its either a bad HD, bad RAM, or *maybe* a bad CD-ROM... I replaced the IDE cable and that seemed to help a bit, but it still BSOD's. I'm about to pull my hair out... I don't *think* its the RAM cause it memtsted the other day for over 19 hours with no errors over 28 passes... Time to move onto to C2D I guess... I'm going to try Western Digital's Advance Replacement thing and send in my Raptor to see if that fixes it, worse comes to worse, I have a new Raptor!

SuperDave1685 said:
How is Crucial's RMA service?

Just to second this.. they're amazing. Seriously, the best company I've ever worked with for RMAs. I just bought new DDR2 Crucial even though I had so many probs with DDR1 just because they made exchanges so incredibly easy. Not only were the tech guys nice, but they actually knew what they were talking about.

Now to see if I can find someone to pay me for that endorsement....

So now there are problems with Crucial DDR2 memory as well? :-/

Just bought a Crucial PC6400 kit, no problems yet with 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V in MemTest86+ and SuperPi 32M. Let's pray it stays that way.

TomMe said:
So now there are problems with Crucial DDR2 memory as well? :-/

Just bought a Crucial PC6400 kit, no problems yet with 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V in MemTest86+ and SuperPi 32M. Let's pray it stays that way.

No, just to clarify, I haven't had probs with my DDR2.... I was just giving the DDR1 story as an example of their customer service.

Didn't really mean it that way. It's just that Oc1Kenube seems to have had some trouble with Crucial DDR2, and perhaps Herr Rogers as well. In retrospect, that doesn't really mean anything. :)

Bit of an update, I ran SiSoft burn-ins for a while and had no blue screens, but ended up getting an Evercool fan for the chipset anyway. It's great, a lot quieter than the stock DFI one. However, results remain underwhelming -- the video card is still dumping all its heat straight through the heatsink and onto the chipset. Ergo, it spikes to 65-70 as soon as I put the GPUs under load with some fancy game.

I was able to play Oblivion fine for an hour or so, even though the chipset was reaching the 70 degrees mark at the time. Ironically, it blue screened only after that, while I was afk burning a DVD.

I removed the video card that was right over the chipset and have been running that for two or three hours now, it's sitting at 50 degrees. Can't be sure that did anything, though, as I'm having a mighty hard time getting it to bluescreen in the first place. I might RMA the RAM to be on the safe side, too.

And I had two bluescreens since removing the 2nd video card. At both times, the chipset was at a reasonable 45-50 degrees. Time to pack the RAM in a cardboard box.

have you tried a new power supply?

I had BSOD and crazy memtest errors out of no where for no reason, I have an infamous antec PSU that is known to have bulging and leaking caps so I checked mine and they were. I just sent it in for rma, I hope thats fixes the problem but it looked like a mem problem. Also might try taking a stick out and seeing if one does better then the other

Back