• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crunching for a while....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
With a bit of help from Yodums I am now crunching for Overclockers.com SETI team. I got a bit bored of folding, and the SETI programs seem a lot better (being able to cache WUs is a godsend).

I don't know how long I'll be crunching for, hopefully my Thunderbird 1100 will help boost the team score a little.

I am also working on a few linux SETI things, will post more when they are ready...

David

David said:
With a bit of help from Yodums I am now crunching for Overclockers.com SETI team. I got a bit bored of folding, and the SETI programs seem a lot better (being able to cache WUs is a godsend).

I don't know how long I'll be crunching for, hopefully my Thunderbird 1100 will help boost the team score a little.

I am also working on a few linux SETI things, will post more when they are ready...

David
I love your avatar, no activation required.

Linux advice is super. Some of us Windoze droids are attemting to rev up K12LTSP and find ourselves Linux challenged.

Welcome

Harvey

Great to see you here. Now maybe you could make a bootable Linux CD with the SETI client on it. Humm..............

{PMS}fishy said:
Great to see you here. Now maybe you could make a bootable Linux CD with the SETI client on it. Humm..............

What about the diskless cruncher method? Have a Linux server, and the workstations are just mobos, cpu, psu's, video card and a floppy (I think), oh and can't forget the NIC.

{PMS}fishy said:

'Tis precisely what I am working on.... are you a mind reader by any chance ? :D

All I need to do is take Overfoldix, remove the folding client, slot in the seti client (and setistack if you want to use it) and modify few init.d scripts and Overcrunchix 1.0 shall be born..... :beer:

David

Welcome Aboard!!

I'll add my voice to the multitudes, Welcome To Our Little Powerhouse! I think you will find our band of brothers and sisters, equally as friendly and enjoyable as our counterpart "Folding Team". I have been following your adventures with Linux and Folding for sometime and am looking forward to what you might be able to introduce to our SETI efforts. As hallen said many, myself included are less than spectacular in the Linux world(no offense to those team members who have Linux down pat). Maybe somewhere, sometime, you and the other Linux wizards on the team could be imposed on to create a good step by step guide for the Linux-challenged amoung us to using Linux for SETI Crunching.

Anyway, Glad To Have You Here With Us!

SkyHook

Yodums said:

What about the diskless cruncher method? Have a Linux server, and the workstations are just mobos, cpu, psu's, video card and a floppy (I think), oh and can't forget the NIC.

Nah I like everything to be running all by itself. If the server dies I loose tons of time.

Re: Welcome Aboard!!

SkyHook said:
I'll add my voice to the multitudes, Welcome To Our Little Powerhouse! I think you will find our band of brothers and sisters, equally as friendly and enjoyable as our counterpart "Folding Team". I have been following your adventures with Linux and Folding for sometime and am looking forward to what you might be able to introduce to our SETI efforts. As hallen said many, myself included are less than spectacular in the Linux world(no offense to those team members who have Linux down pat). Maybe somewhere, sometime, you and the other Linux wizards on the team could be imposed on to create a good step by step guide for the Linux-challenged amoung us to using Linux for SETI Crunching.

Anyway, Glad To Have You Here With Us!

SkyHook

It took me a little while to figure out Linux Crunching myself. I use KSetiSpy just now, I am caching 20 units as I type.

Look out for a few linux bits and pieces in the near future.

David

Heres some stats. CPU is a 1.1GHz ASHHA AMD Athlon Thunderbird-B. I have 512MB of PC133 RAM.

Left it crunching overnight, the second unit was all completed while I was asleep.

David

Not bad times. However you will notice that with SETI memory bandwith is much more important. If you upgraded to a DDR MB you would be able to drop around 3 hours off of your times.

{PMS}fishy said:
Not bad times. However you will notice that with SETI memory bandwith is much more important. If you upgraded to a DDR MB you would be able to drop around 3 hours off of your times.

:eek:

I'm looking to get an Asus A7S333 mobo + DDR RAM soon anyway.

I had no idea that RAM Bandwidth made such a difference.

Would upping my FSB make a big difference? I can get it to 106MHz, so RAM speed would be 135Mhz if that would help?

David said:

:eek:

I'm looking to get an Asus A7S333 mobo + DDR RAM soon anyway.

I had no idea that RAM Bandwidth made such a difference.

Would upping my FSB make a big difference? I can get it to 106MHz, so RAM speed would be 135Mhz if that would help?

It would save you a small bit of time. The DDR bost however is going to be much more noticable.

A few SETI n00b questions:

1) Are Intel or AMD CPUs best for SETI?
2) Is the client multithreaded or is it one CPU per client?

Thanks,

David

If you're OCing a Northwood to the high-2GHz level, it seems to do pretty well....;)

I run my XP1500 at 160MHz FSB (1600MHz) and get a unit crunched between 2.8 and 3.8 hours.

The 2.8 hours was a high AR unit (Angle Range, 3.784 in this case), done while I was sleeping, to the 3.8 hour Unit, which was a low AR (.0016 AR)

High AR work units take less time to crunch.

You can run multiple clients, but to no advantage over one. A dual rig can run one client per CPU.

Oh, and welcome to the team!

David said:
A few SETI n00b questions:

1) Are Intel or AMD CPUs best for SETI?
2) Is the client multithreaded or is it one CPU per client?

1) Northwood P-4's are producing the best times. Work units times vary based on the AR or angle in the sky. We all love whole number A/R's 1.00, 2.00 , 10.0, 11.0. because the take 20% - 30% less time to process than low A/R's 0.50, 0.41, or ugh 0.03.

For some reason P-4 bog down on the low A/R and take longer than Athlons. I think it's because the NW 512k cache is less effective on the low A/R's.

DDR is unquestionably better than SDR. A lot of the KT266A boards will run with fsb in the fsb 180's 190's.

2) Windows client is single threaded. If you run on a dual there is a "set processor affinity" box to check which will link one cpu to one process. Also this is for Windows.

Harvey

P.S. I love fishy's idea of a Linux install disk with Seti pre-installed. We could give them away like AOL cd's. Get the folding mailing list.

:D

Last edited:
reddeathdrinker said:
If you're OCing a Northwood to the high-2GHz level, it seems to do pretty well....;)

I run my XP1500 at 160MHz FSB (1600MHz) and get a unit crunched between 2.8 and 3.8 hours.

The 2.8 hours was a high AR unit (Angle Range, 3.784 in this case), done while I was sleeping, to the 3.8 hour Unit, which was a low AR (.0016 AR)

High AR work units take less time to crunch.

You can run multiple clients, but to no advantage over one. A dual rig can run one client per CPU.

Oh, and welcome to the team!

I am probably going to get a new mobo/cpu/ram soon, and I was wondering if P4s had any great advantages over XPs. I think I will go AMD as I can't afford a P4 1.8A plus mobo plus 256MB DDR RAM.

Thanks again.

David

hallen said:

P.S. I love sharks idea of a Linux install disk with Seti pre-installed. We could give them away like AOL cd's. Get the folding mailing list.

:D

I am currently working on 'Overcrunchix', a SETI version of Overfoldix (see sig).

When I find the time all I need to do is slot some SETI stuff into the CD image and alter a few scripts.

David

Back