• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crunching for a while....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SETI is based on FSB, and memory timings. That's why a T-Bird 900 at 166fsb (DDR) will crunch equivilant to a Celeron at 1.5gigs. The Celeron won't have such a high bus, and the DDR Benefits. Unlike Folding, FPU barely means anything in SETI, it does some what but it isn't the number one concern, take a look in our benchmark page and it'll give you an idea of how memory and fsb takes place. Also the AR stuff mentioned is correct, and the benchmark is good because it is all the same AR (0.417, the most common one, or average).

Yodums

David- That would be fantastic!! I could see selling them on eBay as a fund raiser or giving them away as part of our advertising.

Let me know if I can help in any way. My Linux skills are limited but I am working on improving them.

Harvey

Thanks guys. I think I'll get an XP1600+ and tweak the FSB up till the thing screams :D

David

hallen said:
David- That would be fantastic!! I could see selling them on eBay as a fund raiser or giving them away as part of our advertising.

Let me know if I can help in any way. My Linux skills are limited but I am working on improving them.

Harvey

Thats a good idea!
I will get something sorted by the end of the week hopefully.
Linux is GPL software: you can charge for copies but people can legally copy and destribute them if they want.

David

Morgan Duron's aren't bad either. You can unlock them 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 but not 1.3 with a pencil to get to the high fsb's.

This memory benchmark should get me to 3:50 with a Duron 1.2.

Harvey, explain to me how the heck Kat gets to 3500/3300 with that KR7A-RAID! LOL. I would like to see how fast he crunches SETI.

Yodums said:
Harvey, explain to me how the heck Kat gets to 3500/3300 with that KR7A-RAID! LOL. I would like to see how fast he crunches SETI.

Kat runs 200 - 210 fsb. His peripherals can handle it. Mine crap out in the 190's so I just stay there.

I use WDC Caviar 850MB drives and they're fine up to about 194 and only cost about $5. on ebay. I did pickup a couple of D-Link DFE-530TX+ which Kat likes.

To anybody who is confused Kat hangs out here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2988827~root=ocusa~mode=flat

and does amazing things. His preference is for Abit KR7A's right now.

Harvey

hallen said:

Kat runs 200 - 210 fsb. His peripherals can handle it. Mine crap out in the 190's so I just stay there.

I use WDC Caviar 850MB drives and they're fine up to about 194 and only cost about $5. on ebay. I did pickup a couple of D-Link DFE-530TX+ which Kat likes.

To anybody who is confused Kat hangs out here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2988827~root=ocusa~mode=flat

and does amazing things. His preference is for Abit KR7A's right now.

Harvey

I have the DFE-530TX and I personally think it's a great ethernet for like 10-15.00, just as good as my 3com 3C905B. I just think that 3500/3500 is beyond... crazyness. He showed his customer's KX7-333 @ 210fsb, and it barely broke the 3000/2800 barrier. He probably has some secret weapeons.

Yodums

LandShark said:
welcome to the Team, David!!! :beer:

Mr Landshark.. always holding a beer! :beer: Anyone seen Racecar12 as of late? I'm thirsty and I can go for some frog legs and an iced capuchino.

hallen said:
Morgan Duron's aren't bad either. You can unlock them 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 but not 1.3 with a pencil to get to the high fsb's.

This memory benchmark should get me to 3:50 with a Duron 1.2.

Team benchmark result:

bench.JPG

$36. Duron 1.2GHz

http://www.econopc.com/applications/search/itemdetails.asp?sku=AMDDU12GKO&sc=pr

$52. refurb KR7A.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...ry&catalog=22&manufactory=1283&Type=Refurbish

$48.59 128mb Crucial PC2700

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?module=DDR+PC2700&Attrib=Package

Thanks David- I'm downloading it now.

Maybe I can work on a distro.

Bold words for a person whose Linux experience is limited to this:

proffitt.JPG

But seriously, every little bit helps and it's great having you here.

Harvey

Welcome to the Team!

I'm working on the K12ltsp setup as well......and I am linux-challenged.:p

So I look forward to write-ups and tricks and hints......also you may be getting some pms :D

hallen said:
Thanks David- I'm downloading it now.

Maybe I can work on a distro.

Bold words for a person whose Linux experience is limited to this:

proffitt.JPG

But seriously, every little bit helps and it's great having you here.

Harvey

I could make a version of Linux that is basically Overcrunchix but runs off a 64MB partition...

David

rogerdugans said:
Welcome to the Team!

So I look forward to write-ups and tricks and hints......also you may be getting some pms :D

No problem :D

Feel free to PM me.

David

Back