• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CUDA vs OpenCL [Adobe Support]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MediaMind

Registered
I was browsing AMDs site, and found that AMD had a huge advertising campaign for a partnership of AMD and Adobe for their new line up of software supported AMD cards. I know that Adobe Suite 5.5 was starting to support OpenCL & OpenGL, and officially Adobe CS6 was optimizing for OpenCL and OpenGL.

My question is, is OpenCL taking over CUDA as the standard for Adobe? I am in the process of a build, and from my last experience with MSI TwinFrozr 7970 in CrossFire, using Adobe software wasn't that great. My work offers me free software but its on my personal PC. So I learned about the CUDA vs OpenCL and Adobe/Rendering and I was told to go for nVidia when it came down to Adobe software. I'd love to grab a Quadro card, but its outta budget so I thought I would go for a goood GeForce card. So is CUDA still leading for rendering or should I look into getting another AMD Radeon setup?

I can either go GTX 670 4GB or look into a good Radeon 7970, maybe even boost myself to a GTX 680 4GB card. But if Adobe is now running better on OpenCL than why bother with nVidia. Idk what they mean by Adobe is optimizing for OpenCL, is optimizing another word for supporting more OpenCL or gearing towards OpenCL and leaving CUDA in the dust? Help me my fellow experts!

I dont know about taking over, but it is definately another player in the game. As far as who is performing better depends on the application really. That said, I dont know of any H2H testing for applications that support both. You may need to find someone on these forums that do the same work you do with each set of cards...

Do you need the 4GB of vRAM?

Yes. I am aiming for as much DDR3 and GPU memory as possible. Last time I blue screened because of lack of memory. This time around I'm shooting for 16GB DDR3 and 4GB GPU memory to be in the safe zone.

Back