• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Current mobo dying, need a new one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Yesterday evening, my PC suddenly locked up then BSODed. I was able to restart but I noticed one HD was missing from the POST list so I tried to enter BIOS but got nothing. My keyboard and mouse didn't even light up.

So I shut it down, dug out an old PS/2 keyboard, and used it. I was able to enter BIOS but it wouldn't detect the SATA hard drive I have, and USB are enabled but my usual keyboard and mouse wouldn't work at all.

I was able to enter Windows but I noticed not a single USB device were working (printer, scanner, that "free" Radio Shack bar code scanner, and memory card readers. I checked them on another PC, USB devices are OK and Windows claims the onboard USB are working but detects nothing I plugged in.

I tried the USB light, it didn't light up.

And I still don't know why SATA drive wouldn't show up, I tried different ports. The hard drive checked out find in a different computer.

The only thing I could think of at this point is possibly mobo going bad. I've had it for probably more than 18 months when I originally built this to replace the P4 I used to have. I got the mobo used off eBay so it's defiantly well used. (18 months almost 24/7 = more than 12,000 hours of use)

I checked, there isn't one on eBay the same model.

While I would like to just replace it all, I don't have the money for new i&, mobo, and RAM combined at this time. So it will be just the mobo.

I'd like a suggestion for a new mobo that handles overclocking well like this DFI board. Need to have 4 RAM slots for PC3200 (800MHz) and overclocks, has 1 PATA port (not giving up 320GB yet), at least 1 PCI-e 16x and 1 regular PCI slot. Can be mATX or regular ATX, can be AM2 or AM2+

Obviously the vendor needs to be in USA as I don't want to pay too much for international shipping (not to mention also expensive if I have to RMA internationally)

Ty for any suggestion.

Would you actually ever use the SLI feature at all on your current board? If not, do you have a favoritism towards Nvidia boards, or would you also check out AMD-based boards? There's no shortage of AM2+ motherboards out there that won't have any trouble at all with your current overclock - my HA04-LF (At least with the A06 BIOS) will do 260HTT, as will my current DFI board (790FX-M2RSH) without any trouble.

I probably won't go SLi at all until after I get i7 rig much later. Even then, I could go with ATi instead of NVidia as no one can really tell what the future will bring.

Right now it's just a single 8800gts card so just one 16x PCI-e slot is all I need.

PS: Vulcanman- the eBay auction for M2N32 you posted is a lemon:
The motherboard has some problems, don't know exactly what. A few times it was started up and there was either no noise (but also no signal onto monitor) or 2 short beeps and 1 long beep.
Due to these problems, motherboard is sold as is.

Any repuable retailers like newegg are fine, doesn't have to be eBay only.

Back