• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Build with 14 y.o. son

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psykomedic

This is what it looks like straight from pcpartpicker.com please let me know what you think and am i skimping too much on the video card. He mainly plays WOW and Minecraft.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3FnjW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3FnjW/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3FnjW/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $160.98)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $79.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $89.99)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $79.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear WN311B-100NAS 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $24.99)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $14.99)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Other: RGB LED Controller (Purchased For $32.99)
Other: Samsung TS-H653 (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1124.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-07 00:25 EDT-0400)

I bought everything from New Egg so far except the Motherboard. I got that from Micro Center Online.

As you can see we have already bought most of the basics. The only think left is the CPU - CPU Cooler - Video Card. Thanks for any advice you offer.

People play WOW with a 750ti on high/ultra settings 1080p. So I think that'll be okay.

Thinking about it some more though... If you are going to get all that for him, i'd probably just go ahead and get a bigger card anyway.

I would drop to a 212 EVO for cooling the 4670K.

Other than that it looks good to me!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($85.98 @ Newegg)
^Thermaltake products are not something I consider worthy of my money. If you want a superb cooler in this price range pick up an NHD14.
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $160.98)
^Get an ASUS Z87-A instead. Just as good. Just as overclockable. Cheaper.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $79.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
^Quite a gimped GPU for such a good CPU. I'd lose the SSD for now and get an R9 280X GPU ($299). Get the SSD later when you can spare $150.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $89.99)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $79.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
DX12 will be Win 8 only. Win 7 is a poor choice at this point
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear WN311B-100NAS 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $24.99)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $14.99)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Other: RGB LED Controller (Purchased For $32.99)
^Unnecessary expense.
Other: Samsung TS-H653 (Purchased For $0.00)

The water 3.0, like the 2.0 is a quality unit and would beat out the NHD14 IIRC. ;)

I have to agree with E_D, I have at 2.0 and for that price it really is a good cooler. When running up my 4770k / FX 8350 it could handle higher voltages than any air cooler I saw .

EDIT: One caveat, I don't think it'll fit into the Fractal Design case very easily, which from what I have seen in some of the threads here seem to be limited in air flow. Just from what I've seen. It should fit in the top but I wonder how low it'll hang it's a thick rad. I would be more inclined toward a case like this for the same money. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008

Last edited:
Then you put on your stock cooler and get something else.

What do you do when the fan on your air cooler craps out and, eventually under higher loads IT shuts your PC down? (HINT: See solution above).

TOCNoob - Its a solid prodcut made with astek pump. I can think of a ton of exceptions to every rule, but that can come across as being a jerk as they are not really relevant. TT BW3.0 is a solid AIO. ANY AIO or custom loop the pump can go out. ANY fan on a air cooler could go out. I just don't understand the point of the mention here...I just corrected the information of the TT unit being solid.

Last edited:
Then you put on your stock cooler and get something else.

What do you do when the fan on your air cooler craps out and, eventually under higher loads IT shuts your PC down? (HINT: See solution above).

TOCNoob - Its a solid prodcut made with astek pump. I can think of a ton of exceptions to every rule, but that can come across as being a jerk as they are not really relevant. TT BW3.0 is a solid AIO. ANY AIO or custom loop the pump can go out. ANY fan on a air cooler could go out. I just don't understand the point of the mention here...I just corrected the information of the TT unit being solid.

My intent is not to come across like a jerk. Because of the way fans work (especially good fans) vs the way pumps work, a fan is always going to be more reliable than a pump. That's just my view and I was expressing it politely. I feel that an NHD14 or 15 is sufficient for any overclock the average person is going to want to do and that the extra performance an AIO unit would provide is not worth the risk. This is just my opinion. I don't feel like there's anything wrong with expressing my opinion. When I ask somebody to suggest something for me, or when I ask somebody to review something I've put together, be it in my personal life, professionally, or in a hobby, I want them to give me their full unadulterated opinion without any censorship. I don't want them to give me the version of their opinion that is designed not to hurt my feelings. And why would my feelings be hurt anyways? Why would anybody's? An idea can't hurt you. It's just somebody else's thoughts. :popcorn:

We went from the quality of a specific unit to the general weakness of ALL AIO's just to support a(different/your) point. WHile you are correct, the quality of the unit is there. That is all I was ever trying to say.

Let's move on.

So basically CPU cooler longevity aside. It is a decent build with the exception of the GPU and that can be upgraded if needed at a later day. Is that pretty much correct.

Back