• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Building Game PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thor17usa

I am currently selling of some of my computer parts in order to raise money to build a new and better system. I plan to play games, but also do video editing, and grapics work. I am a student, so I CANNOT BREAK THE BANK.

Right now I have:
AMD 1800+ Athlon XP @ 266FSB
Gigabyte mobo @133 bus speed
768MB of PC133
20GB 5400RPM Drive - OS and Apps
(2) 60GB 7200RPM Drives - in RAID 0 - Video capture
ATI AIW 8500DV - 64MB w/ remote
10X Pioneer DVD Drive
built-in audio

Would it be better for me to upgrade part in this system like moving from the AMD 1800+ to a 2600+ @ 266fsb and getting new Hard drives, or should I go all out and build a new system with faster components?

I do not want to spend a fortune on parts, but I am thinking about going with a new AMD chip @ 333fsb or 400fsb. Also should I keep my video card? I plan to do video editing and this card already has a firewire port, so should I stick with this for a little while longer or go for a new ATI AIW card also?

This is just me and im new to this type of stuff but if you have atleast $1200 dollars or more i would make a new pc but if you have less i would just upgrade. About your video card now since this is going to be a gaming pc i would upgrade it to atleast 128mb or even 256 if you can afford because all these games comming out such as EQ2 has extremly good graphics and i know you wouldnt want your game to be laggy.

A memory cpu and mobo upgrade shoul hold you over till you can afford a new vid card.

look at a single stick of 512mb pc 3200/pc3500, NF7-S rev2, and a mobile barton. That should give you a big preformance increase accross the board.

yeah, Id say 300-350 on cpu, mobo, and ram.

the vid card could use upgrading too... but then your basicly at a whole new PC... systems pretty equal, upgrade any individual components, and whatevers left will just be your bottleneck.

Back