• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Cooling HD4870x2 - could use some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crankyslap

My card ( ) is sometimes running too hot, but what bothers me even more is the amount of noise it makes with the stock cooler... if you're wondering just how bad it is;

I've sort of gotten used to it, but it's still very annoying so it's time to take action. The "Accelero Xtreme" I had my eye on has been discontinued, and besides watercooling there doesn't seem to be a real solution. Since I'm strapped for cash, it looks like I have to get creative.

But I'm new to this, so I'm looking for help.

At first, I found this:

Does this really work? And if so, how do I do it?

If I understand correctly:

-Cut two holes above the heatsinks
-Place two fans on it

But how do the fans hold? And I don't have any fan connections left on my mobo, is there something like a cord that you plug in the mobo, that on the other end provices 3 to 5 (or so) extra fan-connection-openings? (My explenations ROCK!)

Second, I found a guy doing this: but I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. is that like.. a fan with two heatsinks that just so happen to be placed exactly right to accomodate my cards GPU placements?

And then thirdly, I found this: http://www.overclock.net/t/429656/official-ati-radeon-hd4850x2-thread/290#post_5389206 which are 25 euros a pop. That's doable.

Looking forward to any info you guys have to offer on this!

What you can also try is a more "ghetto" home-made solution, something I did with my old 5950 Ultra till I bought the Zalman VF700.

Make like PCI support structure where you can mount, lets say dual 80mm fans with whatever you want/can (I used spare card brackets and duck tape) and then install it like if it was a PCI card below the GPU.
Don't worry about not having any fan connectors left in your motherboard, just connect the fans via mollex.

Last edited:
I, too, had noise issues with my old 4870x2. I chose to use watercooling to fix it. The best option is to try to find a used Accelero XTREME 4870X2 someplace, it works well. They are discontinued, so it may be hard to find.

The picture you posted, it looks like the guy is using some Zalman heatsink on one GPU core and a Thermalright HR-03 on the other. This would totally work but would probably involve some custom setups to get the heatsinks to fit. Also you probably would want to think about some way of bracing the card with the extra weight of 2 heavy heatsinks on it.

Back