• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Loop Temperatures. Help Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArranDaniel

Registered
Hello. Firstly let me apologise if this is in the wrong section.

My system is;

I7 6700k Turboclock OC 4.7ghz
Sapphire RX Vega 64

XSPC D5 Photon Res/pump
Aquacomputer CPU block
EK GPU block
Triple Fan XSPC 30mm radiator on intake
Single Alphacool 30mm rad on exhaust

My problem, which may or may not be a problem I'm not sure is high temps in certain situations..

Idle 22-30 depending on how long it's been in use as the ambient rises a lot

Wow. GW2 and normal video benchmarks run at about 40-50C on the GPU and CPU

Prime95 CPU temps around 72C

Witcher 3 and Extreme Tesselation on Heaven bench has the GPU exceeding 70C and The CPU on Witcher 3 peaked at 81C.. as this is my first full build and loop and Vega is new I can't find much information on custom waterblock temps in different situations.. a article on Tomshardware showed the Liquid edition Vega to max out at 65C so I was worried about these high temps.. can anyone enlighten me as to if this is expected or if there may be a problem with my setup.

So, you seem to have 4x120mm worth of radiator, correct?

What are your ambient temperatures?

Seems in the ballpark anyway... Vega 64 sucks power down like a damn datacenter and you have an overclocking 6700K so... I would imagine that is in the ballpark depending...

Yes that's correct. If I were to get another rad it would have to be slim with slim fans as I have a 460x crystal. It was also make the tubing difficult as I have hard tubes.

Ambient temps are normally about 18c before starting games but it warms up really quick. I'd say to 23+ after an hour or so.

I had the Vega on air for a while and it would hit temp max of 80c on Witcher as it was set and I wasn't surprised by that. But the 80c and 75c CPU/GPU playing that game was a bit of a surprise.

Would it be of any benefit to have some extra airflow fans in the case moving air over the block itself or would that be just extra noise for little benefit?

I'm not opposed to spending a bit more money to get a 240slim rad with slim fans but not until after a richer fellow tests it first so I can see the benefit aha. My Fury X on the stock liquid cooler would only ever get to 65C and I don't remember notice the CPU getting that hot on the aio but I wasn't looking for it.. software wise the only thing I've changed is I set a frame cap in Witcher settings as when it plays the comic style loading screens it would be at 4000fps and I'd get horrendous coil whine. I can't see how that could cause hotter temps though.

Perhaps its a bad mount on the block or something? I don't know. You are pumping around what many call a rule of thumb for radiator size and wattage (120mm for every 100W).

Perhaps create a signature with your system specs in it... maybe we can help after seeing what you are working with... :)

Not sure what we're working with here. You do have a high OC on the CPU and GPU? As Earth said, that GPU demands a lot and in return will create a good amount of heat. On 120.3 worth of rad, I assume by your first statements tells me it should be enough unless you have bad airflow and at what speed are said fans set at? Bad case air flow? Bad cable management? Too much voltage? Too many questions and variables as some pics of your rig and a more detailed explanation on your loops configuration would be helpful for us all.

Thanks and :welcome: to OCFs!

Two questions, hopefully I didn't miss this info above:
1. What is your intake/exhaust setup? The case has 3x120mm fan support up front, 2x120mm fan support on top, and 1x120mm out back right? With the 3x120 radiator as the air intake for your system, do you have any other exhaust fans besides the one for the rear radiator, like any on the top?
2. What fans are you using against the radiators, and what configuration are they?

I'll get some photos up tomorrow bas I'm currently out the house.
I've out the fan setup in the previous reply :) I can't quite remember the CPU voltage but I don't think it over 1.3.. I'll check that though.

I forgot to mention I am on 3440x1440 monitor so the the GPU is working for a living and everything is always set to max. I was surprised at how high the temps got but not worried. But the CPU temps hitting 80 did worry me as I was only playing a game :/

I've out the fan setup in the previous reply

The only thing I see is that you have the 3x120 radiator as intake and 1x120 radiator as exhaust. You might need more exhaust fans, like two 120mm up top. If the case is building excessive positive pressure it might not be getting good airflow over the intake radiator.
I don't see mention of type of fans either. Some fans are designed as case fans and don't make good radiator fans. You may need to invest in some good radiator fans as well to get the air flowing better.

Static Pressure Fans from Corsair. I must have not posted the previous reply somehow.
3 intake are Push set at 40%@40C to 85% at 85C in a curve with CPU temps
1 exhaust on rad at 75%-100% Also push.
I have atleast 1 spare SP fan lying about which I can put on. I'll get an airflow and put them on and try that. I'll remove the overclock and set the GPU to balanced as the benefits of turbo seem small and report back.

I would remove that one exhaust fan on the rad and put it with your other extra on the top as exhaust. Run everything on stock and all fans to 100% on idle and load. Record temps and figure out your sweet spot for your config. Do the same thing once you put a OC in. If it gets too noisy, a 240mm up top should suffice and allow you to run your rad fans at a lower rate.

So ive just got home and changed some stuff. reduced the clock to 4.3. and changed some radeon settings as well as moving Witchers Frame rate to unlimited instead of 60 and setting Radeons Target frame rate to 60. i have a feeling that was causing the cpu temps to sky rocket during the game as ive played about 40 minutes and the cpu is down to a 45avg, before it was high 70s. i also ran Unigene heaven with extreme tesselation which befroe cause high 70s on gpu and its now running at 50ish.
i will leave the fan on exhaust but add another air flow fan to the case to help keeping mobo/ram etc cool and get better air temps inside the case. Alternatively i could exchange the 30mm rad on the back for a 45mm and add another airflow to the top.. Some picture beneath.. the tubing from the Res to Cpu to 120rad is temporary as i didnt like the xspc block but had already put the waterblock on gpu so had to set somthing up to use it :) also, Yes um using PCI-E slot 2, i have 3 16x slots on my board. yes ive tested both before to make sure it wasnt detrimental to the performance and yes it is because i bought a unnecessarily large Reservoir but i like it. i also ran my fury x in slot 2 before this because i like having it more spaced out.

21587388_10154656922701567_3601031940135703894_o.jpg

Wow nice clean build! Me likes! :thup:

Be sure to create a signature:

Go to upper right corner to settings
Scroll down on the left panel to "Edit Signature"
In the window panel post your pc's specs

and thanks again. i'd been looking for that option ^^

i'll be putting this block on hopefully tomorrow. just need more tube to arrive. and ill work on the signiture layout-

21672.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help GTXJackBauer and Earthdog after etting some more airflow through the case the temperature drop a lot faster after use to low 20's and i seem to have fixed the issue of overheating on Witcher :)

I've been eyeing those blocks to add to my Aquaero ecosystem but that probably won't be for a while.

The one I would like to grab is this one.

1013763-1.jpg

After fitting it today, and having a few problems getting the liquid to run through the system -_- i just filled parts of the loop before fitting it together in the end to help with bleeding. not easy with hard tubing -_- i can say the aquacomputers stuff is excellent. Performance and quality, not a surprise being german made. The flow sensor on mine either isnt working or isnt installed, im not sure if the other sensors are optional.. but so far during a Prime95 torture rest i didnt see over 55C. i then ran Unigene Heaven at the same time and after a while the temperatures settled at about 57C over all cores and GPU.

Heres a pulic album on facebook with a few photos of the finish article.. struggled with the bends in and out of the cpu, I think i did a good job for my first build and first waterloop though :) and im waiting for Primochill Vue to be released fully to use that as my fluid, in white ofcourse

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154659347701567.1073741840.632646566&type=1&l=c004aec13b

Back