• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Custom PC, sound won't work...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

concept_cbf

Hey guys,

I just built my first PC and unfortunately there is no sound. Specs are as follows:

MSI Big Bang Xpower Motherboard
Intel i7 950
6gb Corsair 1600 DDR3

There is a sound card, but it came bundled with the motherboard. MSI branding if that helps.

If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated, and if you need further info just ask and I will supply it ASAP.

Thanks!

It would help if we knew what you meant by "bundled with the motherboard".

Is this a separate sound card on board sound (meaning it is part of the motherboard)?

Thanks for the reply.

Its a separate soundcard: as in it takes up a PCI-e slot of its own. But it came in the same box as the motherboard, as a bonus. I just checked the documentation, its called the Quantum Wave.

Thanks for the reply.

Its a separate soundcard: as in it takes up a PCI-e slot of its own. But it came in the same box as the motherboard, as a bonus. I just checked the documentation, its called the Quantum Wave.

:thup:
I wonder if you
A)Are using Vista or Win7
b)Installed the drivers for Quantum Wave?
c)If you did install the drivers - are they the ones that came with the motherboard or did you download them from Quanum's website.

And since I missed it before - may I be the FIRST to:
:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Windows 7

I installed the drivers that came with it, both for the card and the motherboard.

The CD containing the sound card driver was labeled Quantum Wave, but it installed THX audio control panel.. I'm assuming this is correct though.

Could anything perhaps be wrong with the installation? I have never dealt with sound cards before so I don't really know.

Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for the welcome too :D

EDIT: Just tried downloading the drivers from the Quantum Wave site, as it is a realtek card rather than a THX one. It's working fine now. Strikes me as a pretty huge oversight on MSI's behalf to have included the wrong drivers...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Windows 7

I installed the drivers that came with it, both for the card and the motherboard.

The CD containing the sound card driver was labeled Quantum Wave, but it installed THX audio control panel.. I'm assuming this is correct though.

Could anything perhaps be wrong with the installation? I have never dealt with sound cards before so I don't really know.

Thanks.

Thanks for the Thanks! :p

What slot is the sound card installed in? Should be "PCI Express x1 slot"

Windows 7

Thanks.

EDIT: Just tried downloading the drivers from the Quantum Wave site, as it is a realtek card rather than a THX one. It's working fine now. Strikes me as a pretty huge oversight on MSI's behalf to have included the wrong drivers...

Thanks for the help!

No problem!;)

Back