• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Water Cooling Loop Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
another question.. is it possible to have the reservoir laying on it's side rather than vertically?.. i'd love to be able to mount it at the bottom of the case, just above the illuminated "nzxt" symbol on the psu shroud..

I would advise against that, as the force of gravity on the column of water is needed to keep the pump primed at startup and when filling the loop.

This config will flow over the motherboard, if anything is sticking up it will not fit, if the board has nothing sticking up at the very top it may fit

Yes, it will overlap a tiny bit.
No, it won't hit. The 990FX Killer doesn't have anything in the way.

ye i didnt think sideways would be a good idea, it would look kickass though.. but ye, as you can see from that pic.. the top rad with pull config fits absolutely fine.. it actually doesn't even overlap the motherboard at all

now i'm even considering dual 360mm radiators.. if i do that, i'm sure i can have an ultra quiet system thats nice and cool.. and will look bad ***.. now it's just a matter of saving up the cash for it lol.. thanks for your input guys.. it's much appreciated

now i'm even considering dual 360mm radiators.. if i do that, i'm sure i can have an ultra quiet system thats nice and cool.. and will look bad ***.. now it's just a matter of saving up the cash for it lol.. thanks for your input guys.. it's much appreciated

It'd be super quiet with 120.6 and some good fans turned down some :)

Glad we could help!

I would consider having the HDD above the 240mm radiator, or something to catch a drip.
Not likely to happen, but just in case.

ye that's a good point.. it's something i'll consider when i have all the hardware and do a mock setup to see how everything fits.. what about the order of everything? do you think it's all correct? reservoir > pump > 240 rad > cpu > 360 rad > gpu > reservoir...?

The only part of the order that really matters is that the reservoir feeds the pump inlet.
Past that, just run it so the tubing is the shortest/cleanest looking :)

well in your opinion.. from my wonderful photoshop skills.. how do you think the tubing looks aesthetically speaking?

I would advise against that, as the force of gravity on the column of water is needed to keep the pump primed at startup and when filling the loop.

Yes, it will overlap a tiny bit.
No, it won't hit. The 990FX Killer doesn't have anything in the way.

Not quite, but i'll let Newton sleep on this one .... :)

But, as long as you can assure enough water "above" the pump, it works. There is another problem though with horzontal orientation: your system MUST be completely filled, if you've got any air "trapped" in the reservoir it is very likely going to be sucked into the pump.

Also, i would like that more people would give the purpose of a reservoir some tought.

A reservoir mainly serves 4 purposes:
1. Air trap
2. Expansion vat (when the liquid warms up, it expands and compresses the air trapped)
3. have a reserve of liquid so you dont have to top up every 2 days
4. "easy filling"

Now, how can the air trap work if it is NOT at the highest point in the loop?
Think about that for a minute. :)

Save your money on a stack of radiators & hoses & fittings... you only need ONE radiator: either a MO-RA3 or a Phobya NOVA :D

Not quite, but i'll let Newton sleep on this one .... :)

But, as long as you can assure enough water "above" the pump, it works. There is another problem though with horzontal orientation: your system MUST be completely filled, if you've got any air "trapped" in the reservoir it is very likely going to be sucked into the pump.

Also, i would like that more people would give the purpose of a reservoir some tought.

A reservoir mainly serves 4 purposes:
1. Air trap
2. Expansion vat (when the liquid warms up, it expands and compresses the air trapped)
3. have a reserve of liquid so you dont have to top up every 2 days
4. "easy filling"

Now, how can the air trap work if it is NOT at the highest point in the loop?
Think about that for a minute. :)

What do you think that water in a tube is? A column.
The pump is primed due to pressure. Pressure is a function of density, gravity, and change in height.
Density of water is (basically, for this case) constant. Gravity, constant.
So, we change the height of the water column.

I recommended standing the reservoir vertically to achieve this height change for priming the pump.

Thanks Mr. Newton.

What do you think that water in a tube is? A column.
The pump is primed due to pressure. Pressure is a function of density, gravity, and change in height.
Density of water is (basically, for this case) constant. Gravity, constant.
So, we change the height of the water column.

I recommended standing the reservoir vertically to achieve this height change for priming the pump.

Thanks Mr. Newton.

Fundamentally true.

And while keeping the res-tube upright is easier, it is not required AS LONG as you have A column of liquid above the pump to gravity feed/ease the priming at startup. In this (and a lot of other cases) the column above the pump does not consists out of the liquid in the res alone... The column consist of ALL liquid above the pump, thus also the liquid which should already be in the radiator & hoses.
And.. there is also something like pump suction.. but lets not get into that :)
(The story changes when you are still in the filling up fase thou)

Look, you ARE right, its just not always as clear cut as it seems, that's all.

Fundamentally true.

And while keeping the res-tube upright is easier, it is not required AS LONG as you have A column of liquid above the pump to gravity feed/ease the priming at startup. In this (and a lot of other cases) the column above the pump does not consists out of the liquid in the res alone... The column consist of ALL liquid above the pump, thus also the liquid which should already be in the radiator & hoses.
And.. there is also something like pump suction.. but lets not get into that :)
(The story changes when you are still in the filling up fase thou)

Look, you ARE right, its just not always as clear cut as it seems, that's all.

I agree, it is all liquid above the pump. And for a primed loop

That said, it's hard to get a solid column of water without having a direct line from the reservoir down to the pump unless the loop is already primed.

Pump suction does a big part, but if it isn't primed it'll pull in air and burn up the motor.

I would try to do a Reservoir/Pump combo, something like this since you're looking for something cool and a little "bling" and have the MCP-35x pump installed behind it or you could go with this newly released and cheaper solution for a reservoir/pump combo. I than would use the lowest point in your rig to setup a drain valve of some sort for easier maintenance.

If you haven't read our intro to water cooling yellow stickies, pls do. Lots of great information you should know about and better understand.

Back