• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Water Cooling Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StopShoe

I have a computer I would like to make a custom water cooling system for.
The problem is that I am having a hard time determining which parts are compatible with my system and whatnot.
I would really appreciate if you guys could help me generate a parts list for a system under $500.
My build is below:
Processor: Amd fx-9590
Ram: 16g corsair 1600 MHz
SSD: 250g Samsung 840
HDD: 1 TB western digital blue drive
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fx Ud3
Power supply: corsair 750m
Graphics card: Gigabyte 970 gaming edition

1) read through everything available here,
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/628092-The-Ultimate-Water-Cooling-Thread

Once you understand the material, do yourself a favor, go back through it just to verify you picked up on the information provided.

2) I assume you are only looking to watercool the cpu? Or are you looking to do gpu as well?

3) What country do you live in? (Will help with recommending places to order from)

4) If something DID happen and your water cooling setup happened to spring a link either now or down the road, would you be able to afford to replace primary components such as PSU, mobo, vid card, etc.?

I want to cool both the CPU and the GPU.
I live in the United States
I can afford to replace the components and I actually have several old parts I can put in it if push comes to shove.

You will need an AMD CPU block and the GPU block will depend on your GPU. All of the water block manufacturers will say if it is for Intel or AMD. Some come with both brackets (XSPC does not)
I use a Raystorm on my FX-8350 and a single 120x1 rad. Over 5GHz heavy load only sees maybe 50* on all 8.
Your FX-9xxx is going to run a touch hotter than the 8xxx so a 120x2 (240) rad would keep you cool on the CPU side.
Add the GPU in there and you may want to add either an additional single 120 or use a 120x3 to keep things from getting too warm.

1) read through everything available here,
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/628092-The-Ultimate-Water-Cooling-Thread

Once you understand the material, do yourself a favor, go back through it just to verify you picked up on the information provided.

2) I assume you are only looking to watercool the cpu? Or are you looking to do gpu as well?

3) What country do you live in? (Will help with recommending places to order from)

4) If something DID happen and your water cooling setup happened to spring a link either now or down the road, would you be able to afford to replace primary components such as PSU, mobo, vid card, etc.?

This. +1 :thup:

And :welcome: to OCFs.

After a lot of research, I think I have finally gotten everything close to how it needs to be.
Reservoir/Pump: XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump
CPU block: XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - AMD
GPU block: EK GeForce GTX 970 Strix Full Coverage Water Block - Acetal + Nickel (EK-FC970 GTX Strix - Acetal+Nickel)
tubing: Tygon 2475 Ultra Chemical Resistant Plasticizer Free Tubing - 1/4" ID (3/8" OD)

I already have a thermaltake closed loop water cooler for my CPU that has a 240mm radiator.
Could I just use that radiator and add a 140mm radiator to help everything out?
Any and All advice would be appreciated guys.

For an FX8350 I would be seriously looking at..... at least a 360 rad using that closed loop rad would not be a good idea it is most likely an aluminum rad which will cause galvanic corrosion with the copper parts and is not really a very good rad to begin with. Get away from the 1/4" tubing and bump it up to at least 3/8" ID and 5/8"OD for flow save some money and look at the Primoflex Advanced LRT Tubing. your choice of CPU Block is good and you still need to think about a pump and res.

Some good advice is to spend a lot of time in the stickies above there is a lot of good info in there for the new water cooling enthusiast. Info that will answer all your questions as well as give you the knowledge to build and maintain your loop.

Back