• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cutting into the case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shanus

Registered
I'm looking at getting a lian li case (pc-7b), and considering putting in a side intake fan to give the cpu some cold air. I'm wondering what is the best way to cut into the case. i'm concerned with chipping bits off the black paint on the side panel at the edge of where I would cut.

thanx
shane

I have a blackpainted alu-case from eagle something.
I just used the dremel with a rotating drill / mill bit.
Whoa! it isn't like cutting butter, but it goes pretty darn fast.
I made a 92 mm blowhole in less than 3 minutes. It took maybe aditional 3 minutes to perfect it and remove all sharp edges.
Heavily recommended. I cannot detect any chipping or flaking of the paint.
I added a black rubber tube(slitted) around the edge and then I was ready for LAN party in 15 minutes!
I luv dremel....... :beer: /Paxmax

shanus said:
dremmel appears to be the tool of the case modder :)
There's nothing you can't use a Dremel for. Those things are great! Between that & my air compressor, I can tear up anything.:D

I just bought a black lian li case too. I need to cut a hole on top where the PSU is..since my PSU has a fan on top.

Are you guys sure that dremeling a hole there won't crack the paint or anything? Afterall, I wouldn't want a ghetto looking hole messing up the looks of my case. :p

Dremel won't, Nor will a certain kind of HoleSaw. If you get the ones that will cut wood,metal,etc.. All purpose one so to speak. It could knock some paint off of the holes border. But if you get one with the certain kind of teeth your good to go.

The mill bit I used to cut my holes was like 5mm thick (0.2 inch or 1/5inch) and had like 5 or 6 cuts around it. Make terrible noise but the control and speed makes up for it!
It didn't chip the paint at all. /Paxmax

Calavera said:
I just bought a black lian li case too. I need to cut a hole on top where the PSU is..since my PSU has a fan on top.

Are you guys sure that dremeling a hole there won't crack the paint or anything? Afterall, I wouldn't want a ghetto looking hole messing up the looks of my case. :p

A holesaw that is meant for metal will not chip the paint. A Dremel with the mill bit won't either. Choose your weapon. ;)

if you are concerned with scraping/chipping paint, just put some masking tape over the area you are cutting. that will help keep it looking a lot nicer... plus you can draw a guide line on the tape so you don't have to draw on your case if you don't like the position of the hole.

Cuper, I used the nibbler to make a 80mm hole on my steel case; it hurt :( and time consuming ... a great way to exercise your fingers though :D

nut581 said:
Cuper, I used the nibbler to make a 80mm hole on my steel case; it hurt :( and time consuming ... a great way to exercise your fingers though :D
Wow! *impressed* How the hell did you manage that small circle with a manual hand type nibbler? Isn't the tool kinda big? :eh?:

Yes use the masking tape.

If you are cutting into a window you can purchase a small holesaw for about $5 at walmart that is a good size for a 60mm fan. Just make sure when you are cutting plexi or acrylic you have it layed down on a flat surface and go slow. Don't force it. They are not good for cutting metal.

For metal a holesaw will work nicely, however they are expensive. Do It Best has a large varity. (I don't know if that store is nationwide) If you know someone that might have one for the size you need try and borrow it.

I have no experience with aluminum cases. No advice there.

nut581 - thanks for the reply!! I guess I will just use my dremel:) Just saw a add for one and thought that it might make a cleaner cut:D

PaxMax: I asked a friend to drill a 1/2" hole in the middle of my fan template, then slowly worked my way .. nibbling and nibbling .. and auch ... 3 hrs later, done :) .... same work could be done in 30 minutes pain-free using dremel.

Cuper: Dremel rocks!! :D

yeah, definitly masking tape over the cutting area. use lots of lubricant, and go SLOW. don't rush it. Alum warps a lot easier than steel, esp. when it is as thin as the side walls on the Lian-Li cases are. set the dremel or drill or whatever to a superslow speed, and take your time

A hole saw is damn fast, damn ease, and damn precise... the dremel is a bit nicer for the detail work, removing those sharp edges.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrr.. POP... that was the soun dhere..

Back