• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D-Wave Sells First Quantum Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2011-05-26/d-wave_sells_first_quantum_computer.html?featured=top

d_wave_one_system_geordie_rose.jpg

I thought they weren't even close to making a simple processor and they made an entire server. Is this a joke?

It's not a joke and it costs 10,000,000$ US.

From what I could understand about the technology is that it only does one specific type of computation, reaaaaalllllyyy fast. (Discrete Optimization) - I don't really know what that is.

Thid - the server is one processor, just one :) The giant box is to cool it to almost absolute zero and keep any 'noise' from knocking the processor out of entanglement.

More than a Bugatti! :eek:

And sorry, 15 KW is more than a 7 Ghz 2600k farm! :eek:

And that's likely more watts than a computer in the 1960s and 1970s!

It's better to just get a VapoChill'ed 2600k at 8 Ghz and a 2,000 W PSU should be fine.

Last edited:

It's better to just get a VapoChill'ed 2600k at 8 Ghz and a 2,000 W PSU should be fine.

Well, it's 1st generation stuff, too. 50 years, or much less as fast as things seem to be progressing, we will have a descendant of that in our house. :clap:

It's not a joke and it costs 10,000,000$ US.

From what I could understand about the technology is that it only does one specific type of computation, reaaaaalllllyyy fast. (Discrete Optimization) - I don't really know what that is.

Thid - the server is one processor, just one :) The giant box is to cool it to almost absolute zero and keep any 'noise' from knocking the processor out of entanglement.

Well, it's 1st generation stuff, too. 50 years, or much less as fast as things seem to be progressing, we will have a descendant of that in our house. :clap:

Enouh of thems fancy talking, how well does the damn thing OC?

That's really interesting. Not really a CPU, but a processor that optimizes things.... I can see why people would pay for that.

That's what I'm thinking - just write software to utilize existing processors to run the optimization, and you may even get increased performance with more raw power for a fraction the cost. This sounds like snake oil. There's no way this thing can outperform a small farm made on a $100,000 budget. Even rich and (self proclaimed) "important" people get scammed.

That's what I'm thinking - just write software to utilize existing processors to run the optimization, and you may even get increased performance with more raw power for a fraction the cost. This sounds like snake oil. There's no way this thing can outperform a small farm made on a $100,000 budget. Even rich and (self proclaimed) "important" people get scammed.

Seems like apples and oranges to me; Quantum computing uses 1, 0 and both, rather than 1 and 0.

From the blog:

Google said:
It turns out that solving the hardest of such problems requires server farms so large that they can never be built.

...Let’s take unstructured search as an example. Assume I hide a ball in a cabinet with a million drawers. How many drawers do you have to open to find the ball? Sometimes you may get lucky and find the ball in the first few drawers but at other times you have to inspect almost all of them. So on average it will take you 500,000 peeks to find the ball. Now a quantum computer can perform such a search looking only into 1000 drawers.

That's really interesting. Not really a CPU, but a processor that optimizes things.... I can see why people would pay for that.

How exactly does the thing optimize things? And what kind of things does it optimize? Anything?

Seems like apples and oranges to me; Quantum computing uses 1, 0 and both, rather than 1 and 0.

From the blog:

How does THAT work? You can search a million drawers in 1000 drawers...? Huh? Quantum physics confuse me... and i have a pretty dang high IQ

How exactly does the thing optimize things? And what kind of things does it optimize? Anything?

How does THAT work? You can search a million drawers in 1000 drawers...? Huh? Quantum physics confuse me... and i have a pretty dang high IQ

Don't feel too bad.

Albert Einstein said:
On quantum theory I use up more brain grease (rough translation of German idiom) than on relativity.

:thup:

I have not been able to find a non-reporter based article to really state the process... but I am looking. :D

Quantum physics is all about probability. You can say with 100% certainty that an electron CAN be HERE, or HERE, but cannot ever be HERE... OR it CAN be here AND here at the same time.

I'm thinking in terms of raw processing power, you could build a comparably 'fast' machine for significantly less money, and have it handle the 0, 1 instructions. Then build a second machine (again for significantly less) and have it handle the BOTH (0 and 1) instructions, and just connect the two using a simple interface that balances the work loads. I understand why having the ability to do three things at once per cycle is better, but for that cost it's a highly inefficient and laughable way of accomplishing the work. It's a good solution but doesn't need THIS to be its implementation.

I'm thinking in terms of raw processing power, you could build a comparably 'fast' machine for significantly less money, and have it handle the 0, 1 instructions. Then build a second machine (again for significantly less) and have it handle the BOTH (0 and 1) instructions, and just connect the two using a simple interface that balances the work loads. I understand why having the ability to do three things at once per cycle is better, but for that cost it's a highly inefficient and laughable way of accomplishing the work. It's a good solution but doesn't need THIS to be its implementation.

I understand your point, but until we know what exactly they are doing with it, there is no way to know if a normal setup could accomplish the same thing.

Maybe they just have too much money and found a way to spend their budget. It could have gone down like this.

Big Boss Man: Your have $$$$ left in your budget, either use it or lose it.
IT GUY: Hey we could buy this really cool quantum computer thingy that does the same thing for more money, but is really cool.
IT Manager: OK lets do it.

You're looking at it from a purely technological scale.

Back up a little and look again. See if you can't find some other reason for this past what it can or can't do.

This equals bargaining power for lockheed when it comes time for government projects. It also cements their name, d-wave also, in history books.

Look at the recruitment possibilities. Cone to lockheed and play with a quantum computer!

Oh yes, this purchase was well worth it's money.

Hahaha... fair enough, I'm certainly suggesting there's ulterior motives at work here, but your guess is as good as mine. I'm thinking it's the prior -- lots of money and little brain power. Which is/was, of course, my original suspicion. Based on past performance alone and evidence supporting it, you'd have to assume most fortune 500 CEOs are knuckdraggers, backstabbers, and spoiled grown children. Which would mean all lesser executives aspiring to reach that professional plateau are of the same ilk. It probably seems reasonable to all of them.

When they finally move to this architecture for home computing maybe we'll see a real leap forward in computing power. For now we seem to be stuck in second gear, with only nominal advances every few years. And there's definitely going to be a ceiling reached soon. Can only shrink so far for so long before we need to reevaluate the entire idea behind what a processor is. The move toward integrated processing (vid, nic, cpu on one chip) seems the more sensible way to go and the right direction IMO. I'm sure the engineers on the forum could elaborate more.

Back