• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D5 Pump Control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aflac

Hey guys,

I just got around to doing my first custom cooling loop. I'm running a Singularity Computers Protium D5 Pump / Res combo but I just can't get the pump to run at anything other than 100%, 4700 rpm.

I have it connected to a PWM header (Sys_Fan 2) on motherboard but it still only lets me run it at full speed. It's like it can't calibrate the pump because every option (10%, 20%, 50%, 100%, etc) is set to 4700 rpm.

I have a GA-Z170x Gaming 7 motherboard and I'm using Smart Fan 5 to control the pump. The fans in the case are fine and have the control I'd like but the pump just won't seem to work.

Anyone have any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Might check the gigabyte forum. Is there a setting on your board for "water pump"? Sometimes enabling this setting disables PWM control of the connected device.

I does sound like the pump isn't getting the PWM signal. The D5 pumps are made to run at 100% when no signal. Other thing I'd look at is if there is a setting in the bois for the header to be set to read Pwm? In the BIOS do you have the Cpu Opt set to manual?

I've been using the software because the bios is a bit weird where I don't seem to get the same options to control the fans as what I should be getting. I have the latest bios so I don't know if because it's an older board that some of the functionality isn't there or what. From the software all fans headers are set to manual but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

After a bit more digging it seems that all the fan headers although they're four pin, they're only DC control except for the CPU fan which is true PWM. My case fan controller is plugged into that one so that might be why I'm getting control of the fans.

At this point I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and grab a dedicated fan controller and be done with it. At least that way I'll be able to dial everything in the way I want.

You can manually set how it reads it in the bios for Gigabyte boards. PWM/auto/etc... Try that and see how it reacts.

For whatever reason I don't get the PWM/auto control in the bios. I've seen screen shots of what should be here but it just isn't the same on mine. I had to use the software to get those options and it still didn't work right.

I found out that my mobo headers are actually only DC control. I grabbed a fan controller to make things work and it's been perfect.

For whatever reason I don't get the PWM/auto control in the bios. I've seen screen shots of what should be here but it just isn't the same on mine. I had to use the software to get those options and it still didn't work right.

I found out that my mobo headers are actually only DC control. I grabbed a fan controller to make things work and it's been perfect.

Yeah your MB is a couple generations old, so you're getting to that point of needing to get creative to do simple plug-in things for today's z390's. I just went from a z370 to a z390 and my VRM temps dropped like 60°C....

Back