• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damaged Mobile Athlon XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feanor512

Registered
I think my mobile Athlon XP 2600+ has been damaged by OCing. When I first got it I could run at 2.66ghz at 1.95v, but I ran it at 2.53ghz at 1.8v b/c I only have aircooling. My temps were usually 40-50C, and never went above 58C even with the heat cranked up in my room. I ran it that way for about 6 months.

Over the past few weeks the maximum vcore I can run at has dropped to 1.65v (even at stock speeds). The load temp at 2ghz and 1.65v is now 47C, so I don't think it's a heat problem. If I try to run at 1.675v or higher it either doesn't boot, or shuts off with a two tone warning siren seconds after starting a prime test. I put copper heatsinks on my MOSFETs and PLLs and replaced the stock northbridge HSF w/ an NB1C. I've also tried pushing the temp sensor under the CPU up. None of that helps. If I push the temp sensor all the way down, it won't even boot.

At first I thought that my motherboard was at fault, but I put in an old Duron 1300 and it primes at the stock voltage of 1.75. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

my specs
Abit NF7-S v2.0
mobile Athlon XP 2600+
Thermalright SP97 heatsink (w/ AS5)
92MM Vantec Tornado at 7v
2x512MB PC2100
Fortron 530watt PS

I've already reseated the heatsink several times, but it hasn't helped. :(

Good Chance that your PSU is going south on you. Sure it would work fine on the duron, thats not consuming nearly the amount of wattage at 100fsb as your Mobile is overclocked. Check your rails, If you see massive fluctuation at higher clocks, it may very well be the PSU.

Well I pulled out my multimeter and tested it both at idle and while priming. Here are the ranges:

12.15 - 12.17
5.17 - 5.18
3.378 - 3.381

Back