• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR and DDR2 comparisons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

proth

Physical differences between DDR and DDR2:

EDIT: Bench between DDR2 frequency and timings:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr2-oc1ghz.html

Sorry about the previous colors

DDR and DDR2 modules have the same size, but DDR modules have 184 contacts, while DDR2 modules have 240. Thus there is no way to install a DDR2 module on a DDR socket and vice-versa unless you have a hammer and pound it in. All DDR2 chips use BGA (Ball Grid Array) packaging, while DDR chips almost always use TSOP (Thin Small-Outline Package) packaging. There are DDR chips with BGA packaging on the market, but they are not so common. Currently BGA parts are the same as TSOP but fabrication is more expensive because of tighter tolerances and inspection.

Electrical differences between DDR and DDR2:
DDR2 uses the exact same sending technique during read cycles, two bits per clock cycle, however, the internal memory cell array and buffers have been changed. DDR2 allows a much broader range of data to be sent which is achieved by effectively a dual core system within the stick. Two cores are added to the cell array allowing both to operate independently; each core has the two bit system, which doubles this to four bits total. The data buffer in order to allow both the cores to
operate at their peak runs at twice the speed of the cell array, allowing each array to dump its memory into the buffer for the trip along this bus. While the bus remains at the same speed, this new architecture works something like the Intel Quad Data Rate bus in order to give 4 times the speed of the internal clock. DDR at 100MHz clock has a speed of 200MHz and DDR2 at 100MHz clock is effectively 400MHz. This is how DDR2 gets it speed increase, as it allows the clocks to be lowered while increasing the overall data throughput. With this in mind, 200MHz DDR put into a DDR2 fashion would give us 800MHz, well beyond that of the DDR capabilities. Naturally this helps for bursing and reading consecutive locations but doesn't help when reading single bytes or reads from random locations.

Buss termination:
DDR motherboards have termination resistors to balance line impedence. The resistor values are chosen in compromise because the motheroard manufacterer must choose a value to accomidate all memory types and impedance characteristics. DDR2 memory uses internal termination located inside the memory chips, a technique called ODT, On-Die Termination. This allows the memory manufacturer to set the termination value exactly as required. In general, as the memory is overclocked, signal integrety is reduced and DDR2's internal resistors keep signals cleaaner allowing DDR2 memory to achieve higher and more stable overclocks.

Power Consumption:
DDR2 memories have a lower power consumption compared to DDR memories and are fed with 2.5 V while DDR2 memories are fed with 1.8 V, Smaller die sizes and reduced power yield a much higher overclocking potential. Intel's Presler and Conroe will get their high overclocking ability for this same reason (IMHO)

DDR2 Off Chip Driver Calibration:
To further improve signal integrety, DDR2 also contains an off-chip driver (OCD) calibration to reduce the mismatch between pull-up and pull-down output driver characteristics, which can improve the system timing margin.Without OCD calibration, the DRAM has a nominal output driver strength of 18 ohms +30% and a pull-up and pulldown mismatch of up to 4 ohms. Using OCD calibration, a system can reduce the pull-up and pull-down mismatch and target the output driver at 18 ohms to optimize the signal integrity. OCD calibration is performed by the LOAD MODE command using the EMR, which enables the DRAM to be in OCD drive mode with the outputs driving HIGH or LOW, or the DRAM can be in OCD adjust mode. I'm not sure which motherboards, if any, support sending the LOAD MODE command during boot.

DDR2 Posted CAS and Additive Latency:
I'm still working on understanding this and not sure if the BIOS allows changing this parameter or the ram manufacturer has it "hard coded" in. Initial understanding is that this is a "delay", it is used to prevent collisions between the ram's command and data phases, eliminating the need for resynchronization, causing gaps between data bursts. This parameter only applies to read cycles. I'll update this post once I understand it more and it if has an impact on performance.
[/COLOR]

Don't let higher timing requirements scare you:
DDR2 memories work with higher timing numbers than DDR memories. Higher timing numbers do not necessarily mean longer latencies because DDR2 can run at a higher frequency. In other words, they delay more clock cycles to deliver a requested data, but the clocks are faster....basically 6 in one, half a dozen in the other.

When comparing memories with different speeds and between DDR and DDR2, it may be easier to convert the manufacturer's timings into "real time" nanoseconds. DDR400 CL3 memory, this “3” means that the memory delays three clock cycles and since this memory runs at 200 MHz, each clock tick measures 5 ns (T= 1/f).
Thus its latency if of 5ns X 3 = 15ns. It's interesting to note that a 5 volt pulse can travel about 15" in a nanosecond, thru a copper trace at room temperature.

DDR2-533 CL3 memory, this “3” also means that the memory delays three clock cycles to start delivering the request data, but since this memory runs at 266 MHz and not 200Mhz, each clock tick measures 3.75 ns, so its latency is of 11.25 ns, making this memory faster to data delivery than our DDR400 CL3 memory. So a DDR2-533 CL4 memory has the same latency as a DDR400 CL3. The table below list the actual time for each clock tick for a rated frequency. So, just get the number below depending on the memory type you want to compare and multiply it by the latency value in order to know the latency duration in nanoseconds, allowing you to compare latencies of memories with different speed ratings and to know which memory is faster.

Memory Clock Tick Duration (each one)
DDR266 = 7.5 ns
DDR333 = 6 ns
DDR400 = 5 ns
DDR2533 = 3.75 ns
DDR2667 = 3 ns
DDR2800 = 2.5 ns
[/COLOR]

Consider forward dividers:
Some may think that running ram at 800MHz or 1000MHz isn't possible with todays motherboards. Traditionally mobos allowed scaling down the memory speed to allow higher fsb number to be used with slower ram, but possibilities exist to run a multiplier rather than a divider, causing the ram to run faster than the fsb. Although not ideal efficiency, substancial performance can be gained by running DDR with high latency numbers (NOT HIGH LATENCY) at 1000MHz and using
a 1:2 multiplier. End result will be the fsb running at 250 while the ram scream off (internally) at a GIG.

Opinions:
At stock speeds, the differenced between using DDR and DDR2 at 533MHz is minimal. Where DDR2 will excell, is in it's overclocking potential and the promise of future applications making use of it's enhanced speed and bandwidth. As when DDR was first introduced over SDRAM, it will be a while before these advantages are fully realized, but DDR2 will be sure to come into it's own sooner rather than later. Right now, there is no reason to upgrade your existing system based solely
on DDR2. However, I would definitely recommend going with a DDR2 platform for future expandability not to mention it's overclocking potential. Advancements and improvements for DDR will take a low priority as ram manufactures focus on DDR2. As much as enthusiasts loathe the "slow" performance of DDR2 over standard DDR, nothing can stop DDR2 from taking over because as per the JEDEC standard, DDR can't scale any further in terms of non-overclocked frequency.
The fastest chip was 5ns until Samsung released the TCCD that runs at 4ns. Although Samsung was able to advance further, DDR is reaching the light at the end of the tunnel. You can't run it faster than the internal delays. DDR2 is going to take over and has the ability to scale frequencies to outrageously high levels.

Last edited:
eh, people arnt biased they just see ddr runs ddr400 at 2-2-2-5 or less while ddr2-400 runs 3-2-2-6 at its lowest i belive (every time i look up a number technology increases )

we'll see what they think of ddr when the mainstream fsb is 1500 or higher.

proth said:

Electrical differences between DDR and DDR2:
The memory array within the DDR2 chip is simply twice as wide as with DDR. This allows it to run faster, but also increases its latency.

proth said:
Buss termination:
DDR2 has ODT, however, the range of termination values is very small: none, 75 and 150 ohms. It is by no means infinitely adjustable. The benefit of ODT is that for indivdual chips (DIMMS) it can be turned on and off at will to optimize bus cycles. IOW, it can be advantageous to turn off the termination on the DIMMS not currently being accessed.
proth said:
Power Consumption:
Not likely that big of a deal.

proth said:
DDR2 Off Chip Driver Calibration:
Functionality depends upon the DDR2 controller.

proth said:
DDR2 Posted CAS and Additive Latency:
This is supposed to help bus turn around time. Normally, an extra latency is required when going from read to write (or write to read, I don't recall offhand) to prevent a collision. This feature is supposed to speed this process up.

proth said:
Opinions:
At stock speeds, the differenced between using DDR and DDR2 at 533MHz is minimal. Where DDR2 will excell, is in it's overclocking potential and the promise of future applications making use of it's enhanced speed and bandwidth. As when DDR was first introduced over SDRAM, it will be a while before these advantages are fully realized, but DDR2 will be sure to come into it's own sooner rather than later. Right now, there is no reason to upgrade your existing system based solely
on DDR2. However, I would definitely recommend going with a DDR2 platform for future expandability not to mention it's overclocking potential. Advancements and improvements for DDR will take a low priority as ram manufactures focus on DDR2. As much as enthusiasts loathe the "slow" performance of DDR2 over standard DDR, nothing can stop DDR2 from taking over because as per the JEDEC standard, DDR can't scale any further in terms of non-overclocked frequency.
The fastest chip was 5ns until Samsung released the TCCD that runs at 4ns. Although Samsung was able to advance further, DDR is reaching the light at the end of the tunnel. You can't run it faster than the internal delays. DDR2 is going to take over and has the ability to scale frequencies to outrageously high levels.

I don't know, my experience with "futureproofing" is that its a good way to spend more money now and get next to nothing in the future. I really don't care about the nitty gritty of the technology (DDR vs DDR2), what does it cost and what does it do for me is all that is important.

Think of it this way. DDR is fully vetted. The DDR available now is the best its been and its very econmical (2-3-2-5 1GB sticks are ~$100). DDR2 is like a first year car. How much you want to bet the DDR2 available in 12 months will blow the stuff available today out of the water at lower cost? How much you also want to bet that some of the most expensive DDR2 DIMMS today will not function in motherboards 12 months from now? BH5 and TCCD DDR memory were certainly not the first DDR chips. I was an early adopter of SDRAM and I was lucky in that the store I bought the memory exchanged it for me three times (each time I later upgraded the MB for compatibility reasons).

This time around, I actually stayed with DDR. Why? The sole reason for the upgrade was to get PCI-E to take advantage of a 7800GT video card. I stayed with Intel because I like Intel chipsets and the price was right. I also bought 2GB of old DDR (2-3-2-5). It all came down to price/performance:

2GB (1GBx2) DDR: $205
Abit AG8-V MB: $100
P4 506: $125 (266 OC to 3.8 GHz, 190MHz FSB)

2GB of comparble performing DDR2 would have been another $65. Comparable quality DDR2 motherboard would have been another $75. The $140 savings is almost half the cost of the 7800GT, which for a gaming rig is where most of the real performance gain is anyway. Yes, with DDR2 I could have also gone with P4 6xx CPU and gotten twice the cache and HT, but it also would have been another $100. Not worth it for me.

If DDR and DDR2 were price comparable, I would have gone DDR2. I've been building my own PCs for 15 years and at the rate I upgrade, I usually replace the CPU, MB and RAM at the same time. Do I care if I can get better DDR for this motherboard in the future, likely not.

All and all, I think yours was a very informative post, I don't mean for this response to sound negative. By far the most important thing is to understand the DDR differences, what you want to do now, and how you think that will play out in the future. The right answers are very dependant on the individual.

BTW, if you goto Micron's web site you can download DDR2 data sheets and application notes. The stuff is very techical, but very well done.

-Mike

Time4aMassiveOC said:
eh, people arnt biased they just see ddr runs ddr400 at 2-2-2-5 or less while ddr2-400 runs 3-2-2-6 at its lowest i belive (every time i look up a number technology increases )
Thats because the speed is also increasing

ilikepie said:
CHANGE THE COLOR. Learned alot but all those acronyms and numbers confused me
Sorry about the color... Looked good on my work laptop.
I editted the original post and added a like to a good article that compares running DDR2 at Low Frequency/Low Timing and High Frequency/High Timings

proth said:
Power Consumption:
DDR2 memories have a lower power consumption compared to DDR memories and are fed with 2.5 V while DDR2 memories are fed with 1.8 V, Smaller die sizes and reduced power yield a much higher overclocking potential. Intel's Presler and Conroe will get their high overclocking ability for this same reason (IMHO)

Thats a weee bit misleading. A lower operational voltage does not mean that there will be a decrease in power. Power is not equal to voltage. P = VA. The amperage of the DRAM module depends on the number of transistors used per IC, the design, the speed of the memory, the load on the memory, circuit leakage, and number of chips per module. Theres no direct comparison to be made based on voltages alone. Generally speaking, CPUs that run at lower voltages within the same design run cooler than those at higher voltages, but that is because the clock speed, load, and design are the same between low power parts & normal parts. A Pentium 4 & an Athlon 64 however may both run at 1.4v (depending on generation) but the P4 tends to produce a lot more thermal energy due to leakage and other factors (such as the large amount of transistors used for a 1-2MB L2 cache). Smaller dies also do not always mean lower heat output. Northwood -> Prescott is a prime example.

I think that that section should deal in actual figures of chip v.s. chip. DDR2 on video cards ran considerably hotter than GDDR1 on 9700s & 5800s.

Just my 2¢ for what its worth.

Moto7451 said:
. Smaller dies also do not always mean lower heat output. Northwood -> Prescott is a prime example.

When Intel went to Prescott they also added a few hundred thousand more transistors, that's where the heat came from Prescott -> CedarMill is the real prime example, exact die, just smaller. My point was just generalizing.
:)

Back