• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flatsix02

Registered
I recently built a new computer, all was running well up until a week or so ago. I kept hearing a long beep followed by a short beep when booting. I consulted my mobo manual to find that it says ram err. or mobo err. Everything runs great, but i noticed something changed.

I have PNY DDR2 667 *5300* but when booting, it is only showing it as single channel... Isn't DDR2 dual channel? My mobo says is supports ddr2 so why would it only report it as single channel on the bios? When i view CPUZ, under memory, it shows the type as DDR2, but it shows channel # as single.

What's going on here? I've moved the ram to diff. slots only to have the same problem. I'm slowly getting back into computers so im not all up to date. Am i missing something here?

I'm also trying to instal Ntune, but it says the software requires an NVIDIA nForce2 or nForce3 mobo to operate. According to my manual, the southbridge is nForce 430, northbridge is GeForce 6100. Whats goin on here?

My Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G
CPY: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ AM2 Chipset
Ram: 2 x 512mb PNY DDR2 667 *5300* Timing: 5-5-5-15
Vid Card: 7900 GT OC 256mb
Power: 450watt

Suggestions?

thanks,
Scott

ram.jpg

mobo.jpg

cpu.jpg

Last edited:
I tried that. I took one stick, went through all 4 slots, and did the same for the other stick, only to find it still saw the ram as Single Channel. What should i do? I'm starting to think my mobo is junk....

Last edited:
For dual channel to work on that board, both sticks have to be in the same color slots, I'd bet you have one in each color? (They recommend using DIMM1 and DIMM2 for only using 2 sticks)

If not, then the board might be faulty.

Clip1.jpg

Thanks jivetrky. That fixed my channel problem, yet, on boot, im still getting a long beep followed by a short beep. Any ideas? Everything is showing me dual channel now, yet the beep sequence is showing a ram / mobo err. Any ideas?

Ive done that a few times now. I've switched the ram from one side to the other. Yes, the ram is installed properly. Is there something else im missing? Is some part going bad?

Run a couple of memtest passes to see if your RAM is working properly. If it is, then I'd guess something is 'weird' with the MB.

Does the POST screen report any kind of error message when the thing beeps?

Your ram ratio is 1:8?

Could you try running it 1:1 at stock timings and voltage?

jivetrky, Where can i run a memtest? Also, i don't get any errors on my post screen.

Greenmaji, I havnt touched the timings or voltage on my ram since i bought it and put it in the mobo. How would i go about adjusting that? Would it be worth adjusting?

My CPU is overclocked from a 2.2ghz, could that have anything to do with it?

flatsix02 said:
jivetrky, Where can i run a memtest? Also, i don't get any errors on my post screen.

Greenmaji, I havnt touched the timings or voltage on my ram since i bought it and put it in the mobo. How would i go about adjusting that? Would it be worth adjusting?

My CPU is overclocked from a 2.2ghz, could that have anything to do with it?

The stock timings and voltage should be printed on the sticker on the RAM module itself. You can manually set this information in the BIOS.

Back