• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 Memory Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JamesGutierrez1

Hello!

I have an older rig that I have recently tried to upgrade the memory on.

Here are my old specs:

**2GB DDR2 667 Single Ch 64 bit **
Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2
AMD 64 X2 5600+ 2.81GZ
Radeon HD 4670
Win XP SP3

Since my older GA board supports up to 16gb DDR2 max 800mhz in Dual Channel, I found a special for 4 X 1 GB sticks of Crucial DDR2 PC2 6400's online and ordered them.

Well, I have been having a hell of a time installing these 4 sticks. Not only will the board NOT take ANY sticks in the correctly colored dual channel slots, but I have made sure (by sticking each set of new 800's in to my current slots that work) that all the memory I got from Crucial are good.

So, my mobo seems to only want to read/accept these sticks in 1/3 slots, and will NOT boot with them in any combintation of sticks being put into 2/4 slots. My dual channel slots are obviously 1/2 and 3/4.. and the mobo's manual says that dual channel should be applied 1/2 and 3/4.. it also says it definitely will accept all 4 sticks. (I've tried 1/2/3.. 1/2/4...etc.. and when I DO put only 3 sticks in, it will boot, but won't get past the initial Memory Check on the first black screen, and stalls!.. this is ONLY with 3 sticks in, as I merely get the POST beeps if I put 4 in!)

I'm at a loss here.

I was using Award Bios F4 and I had heard it could be a BIOS issue, so I used @BioS to get the newest update which was F9. Everything loaded perfectly well and still NO GO on these. I went into BIOS to try to manually set the timing, but with no avail.

The current timing on the sticks (2 X 1GB of the new 800z) that CPUID reads is:
JEDEC #3
400mhz 6-6-6-18-24 @ 1.8v

I had also heard that it could be a voltage issue? But in F9 I haven't seen any place to adjust the voltage higher so it will be able to use all 4 DIMM slots. I used the "secret" menu CTRL F1 and still no dice.

Am I missing something!? I know this is probably a stupid question and I COULD suck it up and buy 2x2 GB of the 800z, but even then it seems it wouldn't be able to read in Dual Channel.

UGH!

Any help? Thanks!

James :shock:

What's the rated DRAM voltage of the DDR2-800 modules? Disregard the voltage listed under the JEDEC #3 column in CPU-Z.

Voltage

CT12864AA800
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •

Those are the exact specs on them.

I don't understand why my mobo won't even take TWO sticks in the color-coordinated Dual Channel slots.. it absolutely has to have memory in just the #1 slot or the #1/#3 slots, or I get issues!

Even if I were to do 2x2GB DDR2-800's as of right now my mobo won't let me run them in Dual Channel.. ugh!

Hrm. That I haven't tried. I can do this even if it won't boot? I get the standard POST beeps indicating memory failure.. I'm not familiar with the jumper to do this. I would love to give it a shot though! Is there a diagram somewhere I can look at?

From the manual for the GA-MA69VM-S2...
14) CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS)
You may clear the CMOS data to its default values by this header. To clear CMOS, temporarily short the two pins. Default doesn't include the jumper to avoid improper use of this header.

Make sure the PSU is unplugged before shorting the pins w/ a jumper. And make sure to remove the jumper before powering back on.

Attachments

• CLRCMOS.JPG
    CLRCMOS.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 65
I will definitely give this a shot. You suggest placing all 4 modules in, then clearing the CMOS and giving it a go? Do you think that it will reset to the manufacturer's initial password?

Yes, clearing CMOS normally resets the BIOS password, although the default Supervisor/User password is disabled unless one has been manually entered.

Thanks for this! I will give it a go. If this doesn't seem to work, any further suggestions? Do you think it can be a voltage issue? That is a response I got from one source.. that it is incapable of running 4 x 1GB @ 1.8v.. but even if thats the case, its a curiosity as to why it won't run 2 x 1 GB in Dual Channel slots.

Hrm. I will give this a go and let you know! Thanks for the help!

Well the manual says the board requires 1.8V modules, so without a way of manually changing the DRAM voltage or timings, you're at the mercy of the BIOS as far setting those correctly.

It will let me change the timings in there.. but just not the voltage. I can SEE a spot for the CPU voltage/Memory voltage, but there is no way to change it. I was thinking it could be a timing issue for them as well - when I originally input the new sticks I checked the settings and they were set to AUTO. The AUTO setting was recording 127ns 75 ns 127ns and 75ns. Obviously the 2/4 slots were set to 75ns, so I upped them all to 127ns and tried again. No dice. I even brought them all down to an even 105ns and no go.

Im definitely not a pro at DRAM timings/settings. Lol.

So, I did as told and actually (since it wasn't labeled very clearly which jumper to use) unplugged the power to the computer, then pulled the battery from the board and let it sit for a few minutes.

Plugged all 4 sticks in, popped the battery back in and still got the POST beeps and it wouldn't start.

It REALLY tries to boot when I have 3 sticks plugged in, as it will boot, the screen will pop on as normal, but it wont memory test the RAM..

Could this be my PSU? On my current system I am just running a standard (I believe) PSU pushing 220v....

Could this be it?

Back