• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 System memory Configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

It has been a while since I installed a more modern (read as "within the last few years") computer.

I was looking at the configuration of a Socket 1156 Computer with a Lynfield processor and a P55 chipset and noticed odd settings.

I have attached screenshots of various readings. Both memory modules are the same.

What should the memory speed and timing to yield the best performance? Is it best to use a ratio different tha 1:1 for the Intel P55 chipset?

EDIT: CPU-Z does not show correct DDR3 SDRAM timings and frequencies from SPD. Use data from HWiNFO32, ignoring the "600.0" "Freq" value line item, instead.

Attachments

• CPU-Z_CPU.gif
    CPU-Z_CPU.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 110
  • CPU-Z_Mainboard.gif
    CPU-Z_Mainboard.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 109
  • CPU-Z_Memory.gif
    CPU-Z_Memory.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 108
  • CPU-Z_SPD.gif
    CPU-Z_SPD.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 124
  • HWiNFO32.gif
    HWiNFO32.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
The XMP-1600 settings you see is what should be set. Select the XMP profile from the bios. ;)

The XMP-1600 settings you see is what should be set. Select the XMP profile from the bios. ;)
So it would be desirable that the memory frequency exceed the system bus speed?

Also for this computer, is the term Front Side Buse still applicable to the system bus speed?

Yes. It is done by a 'multplier' essentially. You can keep your BCLK (FSB went the way of the dodo with s775 IIRC...) the same but adjust the memory speed. LIke I said, just find in your memory settings where to set XMP mode, and it should work.

XMP Profile has been set and a CPU-Z memory page window capture is attached.

I manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.40v (which seems to instead set 1.44v) because the lower voltage would not autoset.

I ran a few passes of Memtest86+ 4.20 and found no error.

There seems to be times where I notice unusually high CPU usage in Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.

Attachments

• CPU-Z_Mem_Clock_Up.gif
    CPU-Z_Mem_Clock_Up.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 95
There seems to be times where I notice unusually high CPU usage in Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.
So, when that happens, check the task manager and see what is using it... ;)

Move to W7 or W8... ;)

So, when that happens, check the task manager and see what is using it... ;)
I did that. It seemed to be the Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2013 software and Firefox 24.6.0.

Would it be better to run the memory at a lower frequency and at lower timings than to raise the frequency and timings? For example, the settings from the attached picture seems viable.

Attachments

• CPU-Z_Timings.gif
    CPU-Z_Timings.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 83
6 of one, half dozen of the other man... I would leave your XMP speed and timings personally.

After reexamining the CPU-Z output, I noticed that its JEDEC DDR3 frequencies and timings from SPD are wrong. Also the GUI report only allows for three JEDEC timings (which is fine for DDR SDRRAM and DDR2 SDRAM, but not DDR3 SDRAM). It seems that many software diagnostic tools do not correctly interpret the DDR3 SDRAM SPD data (possibly due to copycat behavior between developers). I found that HWinFO32 is able to properly interpret SPD frequencies and timings, except that an extra frequency with timing may be given. I have edited the initial post to this thread to reflect this new information.

I did not rely on the CPU-Z numbers to calculate what timings to try; I used a specialized SPD reader writer software with proper DDR3 SDRAM support to determine correct values.

The system described in this thread has been performing quite noticeably better with the memory at 533+1/3 MHz @ 5-6-5-16. It is rather ridiculous that JEDEC's standards allow for very loose timings.

Last edited:
Back