• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR333 > DDR400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twoeyes

I currently have DDR333 that i've never upgraded running in DC mode but would i see a large performance boost going to DDR400?

Well as far as what I have seen I don't notice that much. I went from DC DDR333 to DC DDR400 to DC DDR2 667. That might just be me but visually I have not noticed that much of a difference. It probably helps but I have not really noticed it.

Not as much as you might think. If you plan on keeping the system for a while you might want to go to 2x1gig as long as you are speeding up the ram. Then you would get a boost from the amount as well as the speed. The difference you see with all of this will depend on your applications. In some things, games and photoshop you could see a big difference, but in many others you won't notice a change.

Thanks for the advice guys, it helps... I'm torn though by this question:

I'm thinking of eaither going from a 7200RPM drive to something like a 10,000RPM raptor or upgrading my RAM to the DDR400 (probably a gig of patriot/crucial/etc good brand name, $70-$100 RAM)

Just to clarify, one of the main things that bugs me using my PC is the time it takes to load things like firefox, 3dmax, etc. which is why i'm leaning towards a hard drive. Yes I defrag, reformat, etc. but it still takes a few seconds which irks me... :bang head

Not on A64, because of the onboard memory controller, the gains wouldn't be as big as say, if it was on a A-XP or Pentium4 system.

BTW, DDR333 is PC2700, right?

Honestly, there is not much to be gained with a raptor either. Of the two, I'd go with the ram, but expect modest gains either way.

Last edited:
jcw122 said:
Not on A64, because of the onboard memory controller, the gains wouldn't be as big as say, if it was on a A-XP or Pentium4 system.

BTW, DDR333 is PC2700, right?

Yes thats correct, though I'm unsure of how the onboard memory controller affects the gain from the extra RAM speed...

rseven: thanks for the advice, I dont think I'm going to upgrade any time soon (I just did a big $600 upgrade anyway) but I was just testing the waters as far as what my next step might be :)

rseven said:
Honestly, there is not much to be gained aith a raptor either. Of the two, I'd go with the ram, but expect modest gains either way.

Hey now partner, the Raptor is a big improvment over 7200rpm in my opinion. Load times with games and apps are significantly improved. I just got a raptor in my new system and its awesome. I only installed the os and games to it since its just 74 gig but i will say if your limited with money I guess I would pick the ram first.

Hey now partner, the Raptor is a big improvment over 7200rpm in my opinion. Load times with games and apps are significantly improved.
I agree. Buying a Raptor was one of the best choices I made. It was up there with deciding that 256mb of RAM might not be cutting it.

Sorry guys, but loading times is just a chance to have a drink. Less loading time means sobriety and I'll have none of that.:D

Back