• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 on the way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unsure from where but I heard we technically are already in DDR4 speeds, it is just being sold as ddr3. Like the 3000mhz ram on the market.

Unsure from where but I heard we technically are already in DDR4 speeds, it is just being sold as ddr3. Like the 3000mhz ram on the market.

DDR2 was technically in DDR3 speeds as well.

Rinse, and repeat.

The only difference really will be lower voltages. Not excited about DDR4 here! :thup:

Yep, heat is already a non-issue until you get to stupid high speeds with DDR3, so lower voltages will only make for less power use (5W maybe?) and less heat.

DDR3 at DDR4 speeds is priced outrageously. This is still good news for most consumers.

What effects do you think the release of DDR4 will have on the price of DDR3?

DDR3 at DDR4 speeds is priced outrageously. This is still good news for most consumers.

Not much of one until it actually becomes mainstream to use DDR4 instead of DDR3.

It'll happen just like DDR2 did when DDR3 came out, it'll slowly go away, and once it has, the few kits that remain will be ~150% of normal cost.

Is it though? I mean, there are no performance gains over DDR3 2133 anyway unless you are one of the rare users that do heavy compute where memory speed actually matters.

The only positive I see out of this is lower voltage. And even then, that is pennies saved over a year on your power bill considering how little power DDR3/4 uses/will use.

As far as pricing, not much. DDR2 is expensive now (lack of stock - not being produced anymore?) compared to when it was mainstream. So once the available stock dwindles and DDR4 becomes mainstream, it will only go up. There may be some drops in the mean time, but... in the end......stil not excited. At all. LOL!

Is it though? I mean, there are no performance gains over DDR3 2133 anyway unless you are one of the rare users that do heavy compute where memory speed actually matters.

The only positive I see out of this is lower voltage. And even then, that is pennies saved over a year on your power bill considering how little power DDR3/4 uses/will use.

As far as pricing, not much. DDR2 is expensive now (lack of stock - not being produced anymore?) compared to when it was mainstream. So once the available stock dwindles and DDR4 becomes mainstream, it will only go up. There may be some drops in the mean time, but... in the end......stil not excited. At all. LOL!

All of this. You read my mind.

its been my experience that a change like this is always a repeat of history, even this discussion.

you have to think why did they even make DDR4, probably because it is faster and uses less power but in all honesty probably because its easier to bin faster chips at DDR4 than it is to bin higher speed chips at DDR3.

sure initially the fastest DDR3 stick and new DDR4 stick will start out close to the same but as things catch on that DDR3 stick at the same higher speed as the DDR4 will start to cost more and more than the DDR4
my thing is, what motherboards are planning on supporting this off the bat?

it would be cool if this one time they could figure out some way to be "backwards compatable" some how with DDR3 sockets

It might be important as APUs become more common, especially in laptops and low range gaming computers (Steamboxes, for example).

its been my experience that a change like this is always a repeat of history, even this discussion.

you have to think why did they even make DDR4, probably because it is faster and uses less power but in all honesty probably because its easier to bin faster chips at DDR4 than it is to bin higher speed chips at DDR3.

sure initially the fastest DDR3 stick and new DDR4 stick will start out close to the same but as things catch on that DDR3 stick at the same higher speed as the DDR4 will start to cost more and more than the DDR4
my thing is, what motherboards are planning on supporting this off the bat?

it would be cool if this one time they could figure out some way to be "backwards compatable" some how with DDR3 sockets

I'm sure it won't be backwards compatible. New boards, new socket, etc. Even though the ram is supposed to be available, soon, there are no boards available to use it. I imagine there are "proof of concept" board out there, but nothing a consumer can get there hands on.

It might be important as APUs become more common, especially in laptops and low range gaming computers (Steamboxes, for example).
You may have a point there... I am not sure where apu's, or the integrated gpu on Intel chips too, stop responding to ram speed. I recall that still being in the 2133mhz range, but could be mistaken.

how much have you read on steamboxes because they use regular processors and vid cards afaik

A little off topic, but here goes:

As integrated graphics improve we should be seeing more low range computers being sold that don't have discreet graphics. These will be able to keep up with the static performance of next gen consoles (which themselves use APUs), and make PC gaming more accessible.

PC gaming enthusiasts will stick to their mid-high end boxes with discreet cards, but APUs will be able to compete with consoles on price while having similar performance and access to a larger games library.

As integrated graphics improve we should be seeing more low range computers being sold that don't have discreet graphics. These will be able to keep up with the static performance of next gen consoles (which themselves use APUs), and make PC gaming more accessible.

PC gaming enthusiasts will stick to their mid-high end boxes with discreet cards, but APUs will be able to compete with consoles on price while having similar performance and access to a larger games library.

Good news for AMD then. How it affects consoles though - I'm not so sure. I would expect the lifespan of the latest consoles to be about the same as the last. We've seen the change from ddr, to ddr2, to ddr3 in the same frame of time. I don't know that ddr4 will really be implemented, but maybe ddr5 will be by the next round of consoles.

APU + GPU I thought as well.

I'd link it, but I am at the office (cannot go to websites 'game' themed, LOL!)

Not sure on that, but, we will see. I can't imagine it to be cheaper though...

Everything will get cheaper with supply/ demand anyway. And I am sure they will make it denser like always. Just I do not feel like demand is as high as in past as a lot of people are getting what they "need" done. But you always have enthusiasts too, that will build just to have the best

Back