• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bardock

Hey guys,
So I'll be starting from this month to purchase parts for my new rig. I wanted to start with the memories but considering the release of DDR4 memories in the 1st Q of 2014, it wouldn't be wise.. Is it actually gonna be released then(confimed)? Should I wait for a memory purchase then?

Thx in advance

You'll be waiting for a little while before a platform comes out that supprots DDR4 (skylake?). If you want to build now (or even in the next 6 months or longer), you are probably stuck with DDR3.

You'll be waiting for a little while before a platform comes out that supprots DDR4 (skylake?). If you want to build now (or even in the next 6 months or longer), you are probably stuck with DDR3.

I see.. And after that? We'll obviously need to get new boards isn't that right?

Just like switching from DDR->DDR2->DDR3, the module will use a different slot.

Just like switching from DDR->DDR2->DDR3, the module will use a different slot.

Yup, but since this rig I'm gonna build will be for gaming and experimenting mostly, 8gb and 1600Mhz of memory are more than fine for me... For the purpose I want it, DDR4 would worth the investment in time and money?

Get off the ddr4 idea for the next year. You are a year away from that so it is not remotely a good investment.

Get off the ddr4 idea for the next year. You are a year away from that so it is not remotely a good investment.

Alright, thx a lot ED.. I was starting getting worried about my project b4 I even start xD. I guess I'll be heading back to those Samsungs or Ballistix LP :D

Back